Central heating in need of some professional TLC | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating in need of some professional TLC in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikemycrfot

Hi to everyone.

My central heating system is an 8mm microbore system, over 17 years old,with 11 radiators attached. Quite recently I noticed that occasionally the heating does not come on when the temperature drops. The thermostat clicks in, the boiler clicks as though it is about to fire up, the pump is running, but the boiler does not light. I have looked around and asked a couple of people, (two heating engineers) and one of the engineers tolold me it is probably the solenoid valve on the gas line sticking. I managed to find a fault chart for my boiler make on line and after following the chart it seemed to indicate the same.
Just to be clear the pump runs, the fan does not, I can her a click as though the boiler is about to fire up but nothing happens.

It seems to happen more in the late afternoon or evening when the heating has been on quite a while. It has always come on as programmed in the morning.
I was concerned about the boiler so I got it serviced just before Xmas, and the boiler is OK. I asked the engineer who did the service, and he wasn't particularly helpful. He seemed to want me to tel him to replace the boiler. I kept asking him about the valve and he said it could be but if it is working there was not a lot he could do about it. He seemed to suggest if it failed he would be available for a callout but didn't want to do the work until then.

I don't want to wait for the boiler to fail completely before I get it sorted out, it doesn't make sense to me,is this unreasonable?

The second issue with the central heating is that I am pretty sure it needs a power flush. There is some sludge in the system, and on top of thet the pump has occasionally made the most horrendous noise for about a second, if I hear it (it has happened about twice in 4 months) I switch off the system and bleed some water out of the pump then restart the system and it seems to work OK

I think the system needs flushing out and some valves may need replacing on the radiators or even some of the rads. Does it need a new pump? If it does it does, I want the system working properly going forward, even though I am thinking of moving I dont want a bodge up doing.

The boiler is an Stelrad Ideal Classic NF 50
The pump is a Grundfos Selectric
The controller is a Potterton ep2001

If anyone can shed any light on the problem based on prior experience or recommend an engineer in the Leicester area (south west) I would be grateful

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to the forum.

best thing to do is call gas plumber out in the morning when it dosnt work.

yes like most of thesethings catching it when it is actually faulty is the most difficult thing. it wen off this morning and then when the missus got up and decided she was cold, she clicked it on and off and hey presto it sprang into life,

The classic is a good boiler,could be solinod on gas valve,you would have to check if power there when not working,could be boiler thrmostat with bad contacts, also could be heating motorised valve sticking when opening not opening fully onto micro switch
With pump could be that incorrectly positioned and collects air sometimes if head pointing upwards

thanks ive got an engineer coming out Saturday to give a quote for powerflushing, he will have a look at it then and see if he can shed some light on it. Nice to know the boiler is a good one, when I got it serviced just before Xmas the burner head (if that the right term?) was in very good nick, so that's good I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
It has dropped after isolating. Bugger
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
I have a weird intermittent problem where my...
Replies
Views
Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
Back