central heating issues | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss central heating issues in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil_Plumb

Git called to a custards house today, as he asked me to replace the valves on one rad, and flush system thru and re sentinel it. anywhoo did all of that, and fired system up as you do, rads and the revalved rad worked fine, save one rad in hall, the Main circuit for the rads in house is above the ceiling (its a bungalow) so all the drops come down from above to feed the rads on the ground floor.

Would i be right in thinking that as the pipes come from above there would be a high chance that the vlaves and or rad would be clogged up with crud?

If its micro bore its more than likely you have flushed some muck through it and blocked it.

how can air travel downwards? this particular drop was never drained so therefore as water cant travel up (unless being pumped) then i am keen to know how air would get in there!

If one of the pipes travels horizontally to the opposite side of rad, i found these can airlock easy. Usually just turning all other rads off etc, gets it going, if it is just air.

Edit, - just read your last posts. Check the pipes above are running level or rising to air vents, as said.

Last edited:
how can air travel downwards? this particular drop was never drained so therefore as water cant travel up (unless being pumped) then i am keen to know how air would get in there!
air will not travel down , will stay at highest point and you will not get circulation , so you must turn of all other rads of and let that one stay on and hopefully pump will push it around , works 99 times out of 100

no powerflow, just a drain down and refill with chemical cleaner

If you have drained the loft area, air is then in the system.
filled back up the air will move along

thanks SGI, am going back there to pipe up new shower so will give that a whirl next week

I have had 15mm pipe blocked through doing a powerflush, only once but it can happen.
One rad would not work, I ended up cutting the drop from the bottom upwards in sections while holding the pipe into a rubble bag until I hit the jackpot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely you will soon know if it is simply air or a blockage with dirt if you open each valve in turn into a hose & let it run for 2 minutes?

Surely you will soon know if it is simply air or a blockage with dirt if you open each valve in turn into a hose & let it run for 2 minutes?

i will sugest stick a jubilly clip on your hose ......open air vent slowly and run ch , then as pressure go down just top it up .....but must close some of the rads so water has no where to go but on that rad pipe work

don't ask me how but if you don't drain a drop it will always air lock, all drops should be drained. I can guarantee this is an air lock. either an air vent in loft or need to close all other rads and leave this one open. if trvs are fitted, may do it by itself

If stuck, drain the rad and connect garden hose to the tails, (one at a time like ;) ) Make sure the motorised V is open when you do it, natch.
I bet when you go back you'll find the air's settled and it works anyway, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Basher, Thank you for the reply. So the...
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
Back