Central Heating Layout | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central Heating Layout in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

This is my 1st post so please be kind. I have tried to attached some pictures that we hopefully work!

I am in the process of installing central heating for the 1st time in a 4 storey house. The installation will be speedfit. Copper in exposed areas and 1m to boiler.

I'm am not sure how much 22mm to use and if the layout is 100% ok??

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks John

Attachments

• 20161218_205322.jpg
    20161218_205322.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20161218_205451.jpg
    20161218_205451.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20161218_205553.jpg
    20161218_205553.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20161218_205620.jpg
    20161218_205620.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 24
Just to add that a professional is installing the boiler. Probably worcester bosch 30kw I am having to do the rad's as I can't afford to get these done professionally as well. Thanks John

Pay him one hour of his time to tell you how to do the pipework

Who has done the heat losses & then sized the rads JohnP ?
We would need to know the design temperatures to know how much heat is required for each to confirm the pipe sizes.

It is also not clear from your drawings how many connect to the 15mm pipe.

Are you aware that new heating systems have to be notified to you local Building Control under Part L ? It is not just the boiler but the controls are you going to be using ?

This part & part approach is going to make the commissioning interesting.

Welcome to the forum, :santa_smiley:

Last edited:
One floor appears missing, but answer depends on output of radiators.Unless calcs proved otherwise, I would take 22mm to and from first rad at each floor level with exception of single rad in loft which could be run in 15mm

Thanks for the advice so far. The sizes are:

Basement Bath 2700
Basement Living Room 3890
Basement Bedroom 2000
Basement Kitchen 2100
GF 1 2800
GF 2 2800
GF Hall 2800
FF 3 2800
FF 4 2800
Kitchen 2000
Loft Room 5000

I've had conflicting advice so far from the 2 installers I've had quotes from. One said almost all should be 22mm, the other just the first 3m until the 1st rad connections, then 15mm.

All rad's will have TRV's, except the kitchen.

The basement has a solid floor so the rad's will be feed from the ground floor on different drop downs.

Thanks John

dont use the one that said only in 15mm

its impossible to advise apart from giving you a rule of thumb guess. 22mm to last but one rad on each branch. are your figures watts? seem very high.

Provided no combination of radiators add up to 15000 BTU then 15mm pipework will suffice but convenience and layout are also a factor.

If you are using 20 deg C between the Flow & Return (70/50) then 22mm can carry approx 23000Watts & 15mm 11000W, all you have to do is add the rads up for each run.

Still think you should get someone to do this for you i.e. save up. Not going to worry about BC then John?

The sizes are btu. Calculated on plumb nation. It's solid walls. High ceilings etc.

It's the drop downs and rear basement bathroom as thats the furthest away.

do heat loss calculators still use btu's? wow

along with the max capacity of the pipe you need to consider, flow resistance, volocity, noise, heat loss, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I have a weird intermittent problem where my...
Replies
Views
That's a fair better idea or costly mistakes...
Replies
Views
Its a Combi. Its a Worcester Bosch Greenstar...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
15m of 11.5mm ID will circulate 5 LPM to give...
Replies
Views
Back