Central Heating leak when not switched on | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central Heating leak when not switched on in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bradford1975

Hi,

I have a mystery leak with water dripping onto the stairs. This problem never occurs when I'm in the house but after returning from 2-3 nights at my girlfriends house there is always a constant drip to welcome me back, this has been going on for about 5 weeks now. As soon as I put the central heating on and start using the toilet and taps, it stops.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with the central heating, does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

You probably have a small leak above the ceiling. When you put the heating on there is a slight amount of expansion as the pipework warms up which temporarily heals it.

You probably have a small leak above the ceiling. When you put the heating on there is a slight amount of expansion as the pipework warms up which temporarily heals it.

either that or the water evaporates on the valve/pipes when the ch is on.

you need to check when the ch is off and identify exactly which point is leaking. report back and we can assist you.

Get your girlfriend to come and stay with you - never happens when you're there, you say, so problem solved.

Most likely cause of a leak when a place is unoccupied for a day or two is an overflow in a toilet or tank & the overflow pipework (if any actually fitted) leaking. When you use any water, it may lower the water level. Have all the tank & cistern fill valves/ball valves checked. If it is a ball valve, repair or replace it & get the overflow pipe & fittings watertight.

Last edited:
Most likely cause of a leak when a place is unoccupied for a day or two is an overflow in a toilet or tank & the overflow pipework (if any actually fitted) leaking. When you use any water, it may lower the water level. Have all the tank & cistern fill valves/ball valves checked. If it is a ball valve, repair or replace it & get the overflow pipe & fittings watertight.

kerching!!! beat me to it...

Well spotted BEST ...im goin into electrics stuff it.

Lol! :smile:Well, maybe I am right, but always possible you are. Just, I have seen loads of people puzzled as to why there is a puddle of water outside in the morning, but none during the day & it's always their overflow!

Lol! :smile:Well, maybe I am right, but always possible you are. Just, I have seen loads of people puzzled as to why there is a puddle of water outside in the morning, but none during the day & it's always their overflow!

or their dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
L
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Back