Central heating losing pressure all the time | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating losing pressure all the time in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any obvious leaks. Is it worth replacing the radiator valves? They aren't that old and it seems to be quite a lot to be losing all the time for it to be a small leak but I can't think what else it could be.

Get a decent engineer to isolate the boiler and test. It will then be obvious if its the system or the boiler. From that point its fairly easy to figure out. If its the boiler it will likely be the Heat exchanger or the pressure relief, if its the heating system and you're not showing any water on ceilings then it will probably be under the ground floor somewhere (do the obvious checks and make sure you've not got green crusty lumps around the pipework you can see in the airing cupboard/boiler/radiators. It could possibly be a pressure relief that's separate from the boiler instead

An update after weeks of isolating each radiator one by one, and checking all the pipework, I've been waiting for a decent spell where the wife won't be moaning about how cold it is to shut the flow and return valves under the boiler and it still went from 1.5 to 0.7 bar in just over a week. I have looked with a torch inside the boiler as best I can without touching anything, but I cannot see any signs of leaking. I'm stumped. Boiler is a Vaillant Eco Tec Pro 28, fitted 2015.

Isolating each rad was a waste of time you would see if one was leaking

Expansion vessel and prv probably so needs a gas engineer

The PRV pipe is dry on the outside so unlikely to be that.

It's took me about 100 attempts just to post the above sentence. For some bizzare reason it won't let be post the word that formed by combining out and let.

Last edited:
The PRV pipe is dry on the outside so unlikely to be that.

It's took me about 100 attempts just to post the above sentence. For some bizzare reason it won't let be post the word that formed by combining out and let.

Try running the central heating and then after an 30 mins to an hour watch the prv

Similar plumbing topics

Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Thanks, it looks like the main heat exchanger...
Replies
Views
Do pipes come out of the floor on ground floor...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Back