Central heating not fully responding to controls | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating not fully responding to controls in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul77

Hi,

My central heating is not fully responding to the controls - if I set them to 'on', so there is no timer involved, then
it causes the burners to startup up but they turn off within 10 seconds. Is this due to faulty controls auto turning off
the burners or something else such as an air lock in the water pipes?

Thanks

Paul77 ... welcome to the forum .... What sort of boiler do you have ... Make and Model would be helpful.

Given as it's friday and 2:15pm though, you're probably better off gettin on the phone to a GSR engineers B4 they all scoot off to the pub!! :)

Its a Glowworm Ultimate. The size you use for a 3 bed detached house. Its nearly ten years old but in good condition.

Could be as simple as a dirty pilot or more complex issues involving the flue, fan, gas valve etc ... You're gonna need someone to take a look at it IMO

Your welcome Paul .. sorry I couldn't be any more specific. Further investigation would mean you having to start messing with the boiler which is something I getthe impression you would not be confident with :)

I dont think its the controls if the boiler is firing up then the controls are doing their job. Open all rad valves/trvs and turn stat up to max. if it goes off after 10 seconds then it is probably overheating. Could be a faulty pump or a restriction in the system like iron oxide sludge or air. So check pump is running vent any air out of rads and pump. and check colour of water as might need flushing out.

I forgot to mention It could also be a number of other faults but there just the basic things that i would check first. If its none of these then you would need to look into the operation of the gas valve, the burner, fan, flue etc

ok thanks have fixed it - the comment about the iron oxide sludge caused me to remember the trick of
freeing the pump spindle with a screwdriver - have'nt used the system for a while so it must have clogged up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
L
Replies
Views
Thermostat changed... With the new one, it...
Replies
Views
Everything working fine on PP mode - thanks...
Replies
Views
Back