Central heating not working after drain down | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating not working after drain down in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmm

Hi
I recently drained my central heating system to give it a flush out and replace a couple of radiators. I installed the new radiators, filled the system back up and add the inhibitor. The the problem i have now is when i switch the heating on it turns off after about 3 to 5 minutes. The pipe to the pump gets hot, the pump gets hot, but that is as far as the heat goes.
The system is run from an Ideal heat 18 (non combi) which has a hot water tank and 2 header tanks in the loft the large one for topping the hot water tank and the small one for the central heating system.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
You cannot as they are self venting. The manual for the pump looks like it is on the floor by the pump. Have a quick look at that.
Found this in the manual mate :)
(Venting of heating systems Fig. 12 Venting of heating systems The heating system can be vented via an air escape valve installed above the pump (1). In heating systems that often contain much air, Grundfos recommends the installation of pumps with pump housing with air separator, i.e. ALPHA2 L pumps, type ALPHA2 L XX-XX A. When the heating system has been filled with liquid, follow this procedure: 1. Open the air escape valve. 2. Set the pump to speed III. 3. Let the pump run for a short period, depending on system size and design. 4. When the system has been vented, i.e. when the possible noise has ceased, set the pump according to the recommendations. See 7. Setting the pump. Repeat the procedure, if necessary. TM05 1932 4512 ALPHA2 ALPHA2 L III II I POWERON 1 2 3 III I = 10 Min. Caution The pump must not run dry.)

Cheers everyone for the help :) Got it sorted.
You's were all spot on with the air in the system. I opened the lowest drain off valve and just let the system flush through for about 10 mins then closed the valve off, I then switched the pump back on and set it to 3 for about 5 mins to flush air through , i switched the pump back off and opened the air vents as shown in the photo above. Switched the pump back on and it all works a treat :)
Cheers once again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

N
  • Article
grade B ld1 conventional fire detection system...
Replies
Views
Nelly72
N
  • Question
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t get a photo...
Replies
Views
O
  • Article
Are at home Level 2 courses actually viable...
Replies
Views
OLG0824
O
  • Article
Shower tray not flush to wall Hello All, I...
Replies
Views
Back