Central heating not working | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating not working in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dholi85

Hi,

i have a Vailliant Eco 630 boiler and mega flow.

this morning I went to turn the heating on from the room stat, it clicked but the radiators haven't heated up after a hour which isn't normal.

i had a look at the boiler and there are no error messages, and the programmer is set to continuous. The pressure is good at 1.5bar.
The flow and return pipes are hot, and my hot water is still hot I.e. Could be because it is stored.

I'm thinking it could be a faulty 2port zone valve? as the pipe work after the zone valve connected to the central heating is cold. Where as the pipe work to the after the other zone valve connected to the megaflow is hot. I tried to manually move the pin on the zone valve to manual, and it didn't do anything, it was loose like its broken. Is that normal. Because the other zone valve has some tension and can hear it engage.

Any help ell would be good.

thanks

Normally you would get some tension when manually opening the zone valve. If the boiler is firing up and working for the hot water, it must be a problem on the heating control side of things. I would check the rads for air, by bleeding them first and re-pressurise the system. Then I would do some electrical tests on the heating control wiring, to establish what is and what's not working. Programmer, roomstat, zone valve.

If your Room stat has batteries in it - replace them with new batteries.

By the sounds of things if the pin is moving freely that normally means the valve has opened, but if it isn't letting water through then I would say something is wrong with the two port valve

If its moving freely and there's no heat going through its more likely the end switch has gone. Very simple to check if you're competent nod usually a very simple repair.

Also, if you put the hot water on at the same time that should heat your radiators up for now.

Last edited:
Thank you for the help everyone.

The zone valve for the hot water is working fine, and operating as it should.
The zone valve for the central heating doesn't seem to open (i.e. the pin not moving freely)

I've now done as you said "eph" I've manually flicked the pin over on the zone valve to manual. and the central heating works for a bit when the hot water is being used.

Anyone know why a zone valve would go?, it's only been a year since being installed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quality of valve, location of installation, condition of system, number of times operated etc. Will all aid in premature failure.

Depends really. Cheap stuff can fail anytime. Bet its not a honeywell.....

It was A Honeywell 2 port zone valve, on a new install thats why I was surprised. Think I need to write them a letter.

Check posts 2 & 3, the zone valve is the last item in the switching sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the end decided to follow Chuck’s advice...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Thermostat changed... With the new one, it...
Replies
Views
I have a weird intermittent problem where my...
Replies
Views
Back