Central Heating pipe vibrating when boiler stops | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central Heating pipe vibrating when boiler stops in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hello,

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction, one of my central heating pipes (think its the length from the boiler to the first radiator) is vibrating when the boiler switches off. I recently had new radiators fitted and the vibration stopped for about a month but seems to be back now, the pipe vibrated before this. I've tried the basics (bleeding the radiator and making sure the TRV was on the right way), wonder if anyone else has any other ideas? I dont think the pipe is vibrating against a joist as the vibration only seems to occur when the boiler switches off,
Thanks

What's the pump doing while the 'vibration' is happening? Can you describe the 'vibration' in a bit more detail, please? E.g. is it humming like a fridge, knocking a few times a second, slowing down over a period of time, etc. Spare no details. If you are able to make and post an audio recording that would help too.

The vibration seems to only happen when the boiler is in the process of switching off with the pump shutting down, it's generally a series of rapid ticking noises which slows down until it stops. It's coming from the ceiling space approximately 4m away from the boiler, I'll try and get an audio recording cheers

it's generally a series of rapid ticking noises which slows down until it stops. It's coming from the ceiling space approximately 4m away from the boiler,
That's the noise of a contracting length of pipe dragging over something. (It's called "slip-stick".)

Usual cure is to wrap the pipe with some hemp lagging at points it needs to slide.

Similar plumbing topics

Yeah I think there was loose wiring in the...
Replies
Views
Ok great...really hoping it wasn't a leak.
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Back