Central heating pipes in attic - Advice | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating pipes in attic - Advice in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am in the process of putting in central heating into a 70s bungalow and I am going to do some of the work myself as my mate who's a plumber is finding hard to start on the job due to personal problems.

Anyway, I was just wandering if the feed and return pipes that will run in the attic can be placed into clips and run across the beams or do they really need to run in notches, so that they are below top height of the beams.

The attic is of limited height and I have no plans of putting anything up there so from my point of view it would be much better if they ran on top of the beams.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Run on top of ceiling joists, keeping runs as smooth a grade as possible, provide at least one air vent on flow and one on return at the high point of pipework. Insulate pipes individually and when replacing roof insulation lay the bulk of insulation above pipes.( insulation that runs between ceiling joists can be left in place). Screw crawl boards in place to assist access and leave in place for future maintenance. Do not nail as nailing will disturb plaster ceiling.
Do not use automatic air vents, as dependant on pump position, one of the air vents could suck air.

Last edited:
Do Not notch the beams (rafters) in lofts !!!

As above
Clip along the tops with a spacer so that you can get the required thickness of pipe insulation around them even as it crosses them.

Thank you both for the rapid replies ! Especially as it was the answer that I was hoping for ! :) Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Replies
Views
R
I need advice on flushing out my central...
Replies
Views
Robin Overall
R
That's a fair better idea or costly mistakes...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I shall take a look in that case and...
Replies
Views
Back