Central heating pipes whistle when heating not being used | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating pipes whistle when heating not being used in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

I have a combi boiler, recently one radiator has started whistling , the heating is not on nor is the hot water being used ,I have done everything liking bleeding , cleaning and draining the whole system, checking the pressure in radiators, and changed the lockshields on the whistling radiator , which has a lockshield on both sides (no TRV ). When I removed the radiator to replace Lockshields the pipe from the floor continued to whistle while the radiator was not connected.. the whistle can go away for hours the comes back for no obvious reason...can anyone help ???

If it is a flat, how do you know it is being caused by your heating?
Could it not be resonating through your Heating pipes but originating elsewhere?
Maybe when your Heating is on, the vibration is enough to alter the sound or even prevent it.
I am guessing because I have not heard it obviously but just thought I would ask if that might be possible. It might make you think outside the box a bit too.

If it is a flat, how do you know it is being caused by your heating?
Could it not be resonating through your Heating pipes but originating elsewhere?
Maybe when your Heating is on, the vibration is enough to alter the sound or even prevent it.
I am guessing because I have not heard it obviously but just thought I would ask if that might be possible. It might make you think outside the box a bit too.

You could be right, only I have not a clue where it originating from, I have checked every possible place I can think of and the only thing I know is , it comes from the same one radiator all the time , (it's the first radiator from the boiler) I removed the radiator to change the lockshield ( thought that was the problem) and the whistling was coming out of the pipe on the floor, and I can't trace it back to one particular place , it only comes when the heating has been off for more than a good few hours ,I have to put the heating back on to make it go away. I really appreciate your help , I will check everything again maybe something will jump out this time.

One of the radiator sections has a bad seal. When the system cools it is pulling a vacuum and sucking air into the radiator. When it heats up the vacuum stops. It doesnt leak water because the caulking swells and amy moistureevaporates leaving no trace.

Next time you hear it take some oil paint and paint the cracks where the sections come together. Then it should suck in the paint and seal itself.

Similar plumbing topics

https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
If you are paranoid, refill, circulate and...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Back