Central heating pressure weirdness | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating pressure weirdness in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, could do with some help here please.

We have a boiler downstairs in the kitchen, hot water tank and pressure valve etc upstairs. I had notice the pressure dropping consistently when cold, but when the heating is on, it seems fine.

Normally about one bar when the heating is on. Once its cooled, it drops but always goes back. House is a new build and we've had a number of issues with it, the biggest seems to be that the builders didn't tighten any pipes (water main leak, just about every sink has leaked). We'd noticed despite the rads heating up, the house wasn't exactly warm.

Anyway, multiple visits from plumbers and they suggested there is a leak and to look for water marks on the ceilings. Haven't seen any. They did find two seals on rads leaking, which were fixed. Last weekend they came and replaced the expansion valve and the pressure release valve (? I think ?) and also noticed a leak through a corroded hose in a plinth heater (leaking behind cupboards onto tiles) which seemed to work. Until today, notice heating wasn't as effective and sure enough, when on the pressure is up, when cold it's dead zero.

I need some advice as the builders seem useless (compensation claims pending but I still need this fixed). I can't understand if water/air is leaking, and if so why all the rads still get hot. It's hard to recognise how warm the house really is as well given the temperature is all over the place outside at the moment but I'm sure it's warmer when pressure is at one bar cold.

Appreciate any thoughts,

Thanks,

Hi Matt

need a little more detail mate. What sort of boiler do you have? What sort of cylinder do you have?
When the heating is on the pressure will rise as the water expands so it's kind of giving the false impression that all is well.
How is quickly are you loosing pressure

cheers

matt

Last edited:
I would be thinking of draining system and pressure testing circuit to prove you have a leak , then isolating different sections to see whats happening

Thanks guys. The boiler is an Ideal Logic Heat 12. No clue on cylinder. Sorry am not a plumbing expert at all but just need some ideas for the builders of the house who are out of ideas now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
It has dropped after isolating. Bugger
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back