Central heating problem with boiler and a pump. PLEASE HELP | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating problem with boiler and a pump. PLEASE HELP in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KrayonZ

Hi all, problems started last night, heard a loud buzzing noise so i went upstairs and checked the HWSC, found out that it was a pump attached the a 22mm pipe running from the boiler downstairs which then split between the rads and the HWSC, it was also red hot! I then took the fuse out and isolated the electrical supply to the pump, let it cool down for a few hours before turning it back on and boom, worked perfect again, went downstairs and checked boiler as i noticed we wasn't getting any hot water and the over heat light was on, reset the boiler as it told me to in the manufactures instructions and worked fine for about 10 mins, then it came back on and when i tried resetting again and again it wouldn't go off. Turned it off and tried a few hours later and the over heat light went off but the pilot wouldnt light or anything, just the light to say the boilers on (Power is going to the boiler), It is a self lighting boiler. Turned it all off last night before going bed and turned back on again this morning and it was all working flawlessly, then tonight the pump is making the noise again and getting really hot.

Any ideas?
Many thanks.

I was wondering that, just wanted to make sure, but was wondering if the boiler overheat light would show even though its the pump that's gone?

Oh, one last thing, at the top and bottom of the pump it looks like two valves that you can connect a key to, to isolate the water between the two points, whats this called?

you just need to close them to change the pump with no need to drain down the system.

when u have closed them undo the screw on the centre of pump .if water runs continues from there DO NOT brake into the pipe work !!! Unless you are brave man

They are gate type valves but without an head on so i cannot unscrew them? is there a certain tool or can i use a pair of pliers? & without turning them off i unscrewed the screw in the middle of the pump and no water came out?

make sure you have water in the system, there should be a small tank in the loft about a quarter full of water, if there is water try bleeding a downstairs rad and see if the water level drops in the tank.

isolate pump, shut of valves, remove pump take to merchant swap n replce, job done

pump is feed with 230V ac be aware that you know how to deal with 230V ac !!!! before start doing any work !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
Mine is 35 years old and the system doesn't...
Replies
Views
Yeah I think there was loose wiring in the...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hi. Currently experiencing an issue with our...
Replies
Views
Back