Central heating problem | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating problem in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smac

Hi everyone I change 2no motorised valves as they have become faulty today the heating system is fed via f&e tank with combined vent and cold feed filled the heating system up fired oil boiler up got rads and water heating up eventually the cust rang back this evening saying that heating would not work called back flow was very hot at boiler but return pipe was cold with some adjustment got heating goin there was a strange noise at the circulating pump as if like a vibrating sound now I know that there could be still air in system any tips on how to get rid of this thanks

You need to bleed the pump....if its still noisy. Isolate it, and remove the head. Check the spindle isn't broken away from the impeller. Clean the can, reasemble it and re-bleed it. Then try again. If its still noisy. Cut the power to it. Take a resistance reading with your electrical tester (isolate the power first!).

Check live to earth for open circuit. Check L to N and expect a reading in the hundreds, 150/200. If its wildly different, you might have a burnt out pump. Only perform these tests if you have the experience.

Thanks dannypipe yes did bleed the pump on several occasions the flow seems to be getting hot into the zone valves on the flow side approx about 6m from oil boiler but the return back to boiler is cold I have checked cold feed forblockage it seems to be ok any help thanks

Most likely:
The down feed branch is blocked or restricted - systems sometimes have problems filling because of this build-up in the down feed.

Other possibilities:
- there is sludge / debris in the pump or pump connectors blocking the flow.
- pump connectors are shut / almost shut
- pump is weak, not pumping to full capacity
- air in pump, sometimes you have to bleed it more than once depending on system layout

Smac - Try turning the boiler off and see how quickly the flow cools off. That'll give you an indication too how fast the circulation is through the boiler and system. What position is the pump fitted in? Vertical, horizontal, pumping up and away or down and away? Makes for quite a difference when trying to give best advice :)

Pump is fitted vertical on flow pipe leaving the boiler with a by pass valve fitted have tried switching the boiler off a few times but flow remains hot return pipe at boiler cold have lifted a few rads off and flush out pipework to try realise of air to no avail

If it's vertical and pumping up from the boiler then I'd go with Dannypipe in thinking the impellar has become loose and would be checking that out if it's possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
L
Replies
Views
Back