Central Heating Pump trips RCB | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central Heating Pump trips RCB in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Davey-D

Hi

I live in Bulgaria and have just had a new central heating system installed, however, I'm having a problem with the Wilo Pump ? At least I think it's the pump but I'll explain the situation.

When the pump is powered up, it works for around 3 or 4 minutes then trips the RCB supplying the power
from the main fusebox to the pump, I read on another thread that the problem could be a neutral / earth however, over here they use neutral as the earth to feed any leakages back to the power house in the street.

Today we thought we'd try using the UPS to power it in case it was actually the neutral / earth causing the problem however it has literally popped a brand new Powerwalker 750 (450w) as soon as it was plugged in which is now not receiving any power in from the mains. So it looks like a trip back to Praktiker this week to have it replaced (Bought today)

The wilo stg25 pump is brand new but getting it to run for more than a few minutes seems impossible, does anyone have any suggestions as it appears to run without any problem when removed from the pipe, so it's obviously when its actually pumping water around the problem occurs regardless whether it's cold or warm water.

The obvious things have been checked, such as the pump arrow pointing to the boiler inlet (Pritty 30kw Log and Coal Burner), a qualified electrician has installed the wiring and fuse etc, if the thermostat is removed from the wiring i.e pump connected straight to mains it still happens so we have ruled out the thermostat being to blame.

Any suggestions?

Best to get your electrician back to diagnose your fault , especially with it being in Bulgaria where its different equipment , good luck,

Sounds like pump is faulty, whether installed incorrectly or run dry or faulty out of the box (it being wilo)
Normally you put these pumps on 3a fuse rather than rcd, maybe its what they do in Sofia :)
Get someone to diagnose the pump with a multimeter (no/low resistance through L-N means burned out motor)
Else it could be a mechanical fault with any of multiple pump components, give wilo a ring to help diagnose.

Thanks Everyone for your help so far :)

Stanios the pump is currently being plugged into a 13 amp socket in the cellar which has it's own Fuse box fed from a 32 amp feed in the kitchen attic (Bungalow) which supplies electric boiler and oven, electrician was back yesterday and found no problem with circuit.

I'm going to try and get pump taken back to the pritty factory today for them to test it as they supplied it with the boiler and they are only 20 miles away, I take it by the (it being wilo) comment Wilo are not exactly reliable then?

Once again thanks guys

Wilo are ok if you put the right fuse in even bettee. Had you a 3a fuse instead of 13a things might have worked out differently.

Took Pump back to Pritty and have to admit they were pretty good, they tested pump running dry with no problems, then run water through it still with no problems but exchanged the pump anyway, replacement pump is working without any problems up to now so fingers crossed it was just the pump, just got to persuade Praktiker to exchange the blown UPS tomorrow Lol

Thanks for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
S
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I got...
Replies
Views
Sam Wain
S
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
L
Replies
Views
Back