Central Heating Pumping Over | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central Heating Pumping Over in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a call today from a customer. The heating has been working fine all winter, they turned it off during the warm weather in March, turned it back on when it got cooler, since then, when the heating starts up in the morning there is lots of noise above their bedroom, where the F&E tank is and apparently the system gets a lot of air in it, rads go cold and he has to bleed the rads to let the air out.

The system has been in and working fine for 20 years. Ideal Mexico floor standing boiler, one zone valve for heating and a pump each for heating and HW both on the return and pointing down.

I popped in this afternoon for a quick look but all was working OK as he has bled the system today.

I tried to trace the pipes but couldn't find where the vent pipe is connected but the cold feed pipe is on the positive side of the pump.

I am thinking possible partial blockage or sludge in the CH flow somewhere?

Any other suggestions?
Cheers

Sounds like corrosion has settled through the off period. Hopefully it isn't a combined vent / feed as the boiler should have an overheat if it is (and these don't). Sounds like you'll have to check the vent and feed position (they may go back to the boiler if it's a mexico). What's the tank quality like, has it been pumping over and re-oxyginating the water? Might be pumping over if blocked with corrosion?

:iagree: check the water quality/colour! If the f&e water is hot then there's a problem regards pipework configuration. It takes some time before the issues associated with pumping over take effect, I've found systems will work and work then just give up without warning or not play up until work is carried out on the system! You go to replace the pump, turn the new one on and find nothing moving at all :32:

Try a magnet on the pipes around the pump and zone valve. I wouldn't mind betting that it sticks like glue because sludge has settled in the pipes. I had exactly the same problem and one of the guys on here suggested this.

cut into rising main ,get a filling loop ,tee into below pump and blast mains water through primary circuit ,dont forget to shut pump off .
done this few times last few weeks as suddenly had batch of it

If the system keeps needing venting it's sucking air down the expansion, wich would point to pipe work restriction. Usually it settles where the cold feed is connected. As said above a magnets a good idea.

Sounds like theres not enough head between pump and htg tank, which has caused pumping over which in turn has caused corrosion, talk them into an A rated sealed boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
L
Replies
Views
I have a weird intermittent problem where my...
Replies
Views
Back