Central heating question | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating question in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bouncer123

Hi there,

My question is this, I used to have oil central heating a long time ago and eventually did away with it though i have recently been wanting to get gas heating fitted but have never had the £££ required to get all the new fittings done. I was told by a friend (He claims he did this) that all i need to do is get a new boiler and linked up to gas and that it can be ran through my old heaters i used when i had the oil central heating and that it costs much less that getting an entire new system fitted. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help

Sean

Yes - the radiators use water whichever heating system (also known as a wet system). The boiler will connect to the wet system.

A new boiler must be installed by a competent person (qualified who belongs to a scheme). With oil this is OFTEC and with gas this is GasSafe. You're not allowed to touch gas unless qualified but you are allowed to fiddle with an oil boiler.

To make matters easier (and usually cheaper for you) it's best to find someone you're happy with and go with their recommendation and their price. If you try buying the boiler yourself, on eBay for example, you might find it difficult to get a plumber to fit it for a decent price as we tend to use a supplier we trust and a brand we like working with.

Unfortunately you might have to have your heating system upgraded (building regs) so if you haven't a room thermostat, hot water cylinder thermostat, thermostatic radiator valves, pump, etc then this will add to the cost. If these are already fitted and work then you don't need new ones.

I'm not suggesting you're going to try any of this yourself but thought it might be helpful to tell you in case some of these things had crossed your mind.

To sum up, the answer to your question is "Yes". Unusual to change fuel source but all the radiators will stay the same and some primary pipework might need changing around to fit the new boiler. Any plumber worth their salt will want to see the job before they give a firm indication of price.

strongly agree with above, leave it alone and get a GasSafe guy to check it out. Get a couple of quotes and away you go. Ask the engineer to use his electrician to wire the states + programmer.

Supply & install about £1700 - £2000 depending on boiler size required and gas run.

Hi there,

My question is this, I used to have oil central heating a long time ago and eventually did away with it though i have recently been wanting to get gas heating fitted but have never had the £££ required to get all the new fittings done. I was told by a friend (He claims he did this) that all i need to do is get a new boiler and linked up to gas and that it can be ran through my old heaters i used when i had the oil central heating and that it costs much less that getting an entire new system fitted. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help

Sean

when you say heaters do you mean heat emmitters or radiators? if so i dont see why not but without looking i wouldnt know, get a gas guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Hi Basher, Thank you for the reply. So the...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Back