central heating system | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss central heating system in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

19bri79

Hi everyone new to here was looking for advice/help. I am hoping to purchase a new property in the near future a large 3 bedroom house approx 150 years old. It requires a lot off work one being a new central heating system.Can anyone point me in the right direction as to costs/time scales etc.. was thinking off fitting radiators myself then get a plumber to do the rest. What do you think?
3 large bedrooms
1 toilet (towel rail)
1 large sitting room
1 large kitchen
2 med halls
1 small box room

Hi everyone new to here was looking for advice/help. I am hoping to purchase a new property in the near future a large 3 bedroom house approx 150 years old. It requires a lot off work one being a new central heating system.Can anyone point me in the right direction as to costs/time scales etc.. was thinking off fitting radiators myself then get a plumber to do the rest. What do you think?
3 large bedrooms
1 toilet (towel rail)
1 large sitting room
1 large kitchen
2 med halls
1 small box room
youve missed the important bits how many bathrooms or showers do you need to feed?

sorry it will be one shower,one bathroom
probably get away with a high output combi then 31kw minimum provided youve got a good main in the property
personally im a fan of heatstore systems which would give lots of hotwater and instant heating
starting from scratch i would be looking at putting it all in the loft whichever system you chose
cheapest option will always be a combi if you can live with its limitations of low water flow compare to other systems

Last edited:
Well obviously the more you do yourself,the less it is going to cost,try to find a tradesman by word of mouth,explain works required
To get a tradesman to work with you and for him to agree to let you hang rads and lift floor boards ect to save on costs,I would say you should be aware of the following

1...Do not mess him about,if you are going to do something ,do it,this is why we do not like customers helping out because 9 times out of 10 they say they will do something and do,nt
You go to a job and agree a price ,as customer says will hang rads and lift agreed floor boards and you get there and half the rads not hung and one floor board up,that was loose anyway,they come up with all excuses,so tradesman ends up doing it all and then want it done for the same price or a fraction more

2.Plan things out,if you required new heating system,then also replumb,maybe ,rewire two,when you have floor boards up,get as much done as possible
plan all positions of required items ,rads,sockets ect,extras cost a lot more to do than if done following original plan,and plan for future if you are thinking of loft conversion or extension, get cables and pipeing to a point they can easily be picked up at in future n the right sizes to be required

3,Profit is not a dirty word and that is why we all go to work,you will be saving by doing a lot of your own works,do not try to cut into the tradesmans honest profit,all that will happen is they will take short cuts,become unrealiable and maybe move to other works

I have done a few bigger jobs working with customers doing what they can,some have gone great,as we have been straight with one another but a few ,the customer could not do what they said and taking the micky.... exit stage left...can cost me to much money being messed about

As for system would be looking at a system boiler with unvented cylinder,will keep all the family happy,warm and clean

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,You have had various possibilities offered by steve and Puddle.In addition Puddle has given you some top advice about looking to the future.You are starting with a blank canvas and with care and thought you can future proof your gas/electric.As regards DIY fitting,some plumbers would not be keen.Puddle has outlined why to some degree.If a plumber takes on a new system he would discuss/give advice to customer and agreed work would be put in writing and priced.A time scale would be agreed and there could be co-operation with the sparkie.He might even know one whom he trusts so you would gain there.You have a guarantee if a plumber does the whole system.It would be annoying all round if leaks occur.You might ask how much the whole system would cost and how much with you doing part of it.If you have not done much plumbing there is scope for some poor quality plumbing.Even push-fit is not fool proof.Bear in mind that if you decide to do it and give a date to the plumber he cannot be expected to be flexible timewise if you hit snags.He will have work booked in.Good luck.Let us know how things go.Depending on where you are you might get guys off here to quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Hi Basher, Thank you for the reply. So the...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Back