Central heating using a thermal store | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating using a thermal store in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nickpgood

Hi

I am conducting a PhD and as part of it I need to model a regular domestic heating system. I am trying to stay as close to reality as I can so I was wondering if anyone could anser a few questions for me:
  1. If a TES is being used to feed the central heating system as well as domestic hot water is the water for the central heating taken directly from the thermal store or can that water be heated indirectly, via a heat exchanger? Is this a relistic configuration or would this never be done in practice?
  2. I have read about post mixing of domestic hot water to avoid scalding, but can something similar be done for the central heating water? I am interested as regulating the temperature of the central heating could reduce cycling of the boiler. I think if the central heating is at main pressure this would not be possible, but if the central heating circuit was vented then it might be. Is this done in practice? How is the increased water injected in the mixing pocess dispensed with? Does this result in hot water being lost as the extra cold water introduced to the system is accomodated? Are there any other ways of controlling the heat of the central heating water?

Thanks

Nick

Most people use the boiler thermostat to control the temperature of the central heating.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

The heating water could be heated via a secondary heat exchanger,but would need an extra pump,filling loop,etc.,so would be impractical on domestic systems.Water in the store is normaly pumped directly round the rads.If you wanted to cool the flow temperature,you wouldn't need to introduce fresh water,just mix with cooler water returning from the rads,as is done with under floor systems.

I would like to help you and have probably got some answers for you but would like some more info please. Title of your Thesis ? and its intended practical end purpose ?.

Can we keep it on here for all to read and comment on. if your headed the way ithink
you are it might have already been done - we were in the boardroom of a major
player in ch and controls who gave us a good insight to where the future lies.

centralheatking

centralheatking

Welcome to the forum Nick, Look here lot of info you require on this and other sites.

Ecowarm

Ah I see! I hadn't thought of that! Mixing with the return water is what I need to do

The title of my thesis is 'Techno-economic assessment of flexible demand'. The aim is to understand how heating technologies that interact with electricity (heat pumps or combined heat and power) can be controlled to minimise heating costs, by moving heat production away from times of high electricity prices for example.

Thank you I have got that - am on M6/M5 all day Wed and will think about this instead
of how to fulfill plumber's xmas lists

centralheatking:santa3:

You might want to look for a new subject, this has already been done to death by just about every manufacturer of heat pumps and renewable energy systems in both Europe and the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
L
Replies
Views
Sorry I made the wrong assumption! The gas...
Replies
Views
Back