Central heating / water timer question | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating / water timer question in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adam Everitt

Hi everyone, first post on here but please excuse the brief introduction. My girlfriend and I just recently bought our first house and my plumbing experience is roughly 3 months of playing, breaking and fixing.

new years eve one of our guests decided to mess about with the timer for the central heating / hot water. I've ended up having to reset my timers (device is Wickes RWB9.cw and I've been unable to find a manual for it) everything has been reset just fine however the timer won't allow me to turn the hot water off until the central heating goes off. Here's my settings to help explain

CH. On: 7am - Off: 9am.
CH2. On: 5pm - Off: 10pm.

So I try to set the water to heat up the tank once from 4am - 5am but the timer flashes "LIMIT" when I try to make it turn off any earlier than 9am (i.e. when the CH goes off)

quite confused by this because I'm sure that before I had to reset my timer I was able to pick and choose when I turned my water off regardless of when the CH is timed.

just wondered if any of you guys could confirm that the CH needs to be on for the HW to warm up? I'm not sure how all this works and as I mentioned I can't remember what it used to do before the reset.

Thanks so much in advance, Adam

Thanks snowhead for finding that. So it appears we're on a gravity system and the central heating cannot be operated without the HW being on.

A further question, does this mean I'm constantly heating water or will the boiler cease when the water reaches the temperature on the tank thermostat?

cheers, Adam

If your system is fitted with diverter valve or two zone valves you could alter the dip switches on the back to enable independent operation. If the system is still running with gravity you are stuck with it. Time for an upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If you are paranoid, refill, circulate and...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Back