central heating ? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss central heating ? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chillymike

hi after advice on central heating. i have only had experienced a house or houses with a combi boiler. have moved into a house with a i presume a gravity fed system ie hot water tank and a boiler. tried the 1 hour plus and got hot water after a period. pressed the 1 hour on the central heating system all worked well room thermostat. not moved in yet went back today and tried putting the heating only on the 1 hour plus boiler sounded like it kicked in but no central heating. after a while i pressed the 1 hour on hot water and the central heating kicked in. can i not get instant heat on the system without putting the hot water on as well???? the system had not run since last week.
any info appreciated and best method for timers etc when house will be empty most of day.

Depends on system , Hot water only or Heating & Hot water, what controls do you have in cyl cupboard ? some pics would be helpfull. If as you think ! its a Gravity system then no, heating & water will-not work independently, you will have to convert system to fully pumped.

:iagree: Sounds like a gravity system with a programmer set to fully pumped 1st thoughts :)

Depends on system , Hot water only or Heating & Hot water, what controls do you have in cyl cupboard ? some pics would be helpfull. If as you think ! its a Gravity system then no, heating & water will-not work independently, you will have to convert system to fully pumped.

my wife emailed these pics. no rad thermostats just one local room thermo. 023.jpg024.jpg025.jpg026.jpg027.jpg

Gravity hot water pumped heating chillymike :) the programmer will not work heating only :)

Gravity hot water pumped heating chillymike :) the programmer will not work heating only :)
cheers mate, so what is the best method of using this timer. basically got electric shower for morning wash. obviously getting colder now so heating will want to be on in morning for a bit, house empty most of day back evening 7 ish, how sould i set the programme:snore:

set the heating to come on half an hour before you get up and to go off around the time you go out in the morning. for the evening set it to come on at about 6:30 so the house is warm when you get in, and to go off at about 10:30-11 ish.

The best answer is to convert to S or Y plan. A cheaper alternative would be to install a cylinder thermostatic valve on the return of the cylinder, or you could fit an electronic cylinder stat controlling a zone valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
This was indeed the case, picked up a new zone...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
The timeclock is hopefully fairly self...
Replies
Views
Back