ceramic tap dripping | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
Guest viewing is limited

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss ceramic tap dripping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I'm off to fix a dripping ceramic tap tomorrow. I'm supposing the cartridge is perhaps cracked, or got dirt in it, or scaled up. Is there anything else I could/should look for?
I'm expecting to whip the cartridges out, and go off to the plumbers merchant to get matching replacements. Or if it is all scaled up, maybe a tap revivor kit?
How does this sound as a plan of action?
Thanks,
Jennie

Hi all,
I'm off to fix a dripping ceramic tap tomorrow. I'm supposing the cartridge is perhaps cracked, or got dirt in it, or scaled up. Is there anything else I could/should look for?
I'm expecting to whip the cartridges out, and go off to the plumbers merchant to get matching replacements. Or if it is all scaled up, maybe a tap revivor kit?
How does this sound as a plan of action?
Thanks,
Jennie

Be prepared to change the taps completely. You might get lucky with replacements, (depending on make) but there are approximately 48 gazillion different ceramic disc cartridges in my road alone.

Make sure you have plenty of diesel in the van and time on your hands. Ceramic discs equals new taps for me now. Gone are the days of playing hunt the replacement.

What about reviver kits? (I just saw another online post that said they can be a bit hit and miss with 1/4 turn taps, and so maybe entire new taps would be best.
I'd be interested to know how you proceed if/when a customer rings with a dripping tap. If it's 1/4 turn, do you advise a replacement on the phone? Or do you go to check it out first (in view that the driving around can be quite time consuming).
Thanks for all your tips and advice,
Jennie

there are approximately 48 gazillion different ceramic disc cartridges in my road alone.[/QUOTE]

id say at least double that number mate....wish it was my bank ac balance!

Some of the reviver kits can be more expensive than new taps.

If taps are in decent nick, and the custard is nice, I have sourced them from tapMagician before. You need to be careful with measurements as they are only a few mm difference.

Otherwise as others have said, new taps. I only use the reviver kits on standard tap valves, not the ceramic ones.

then again depends on the merchant you use!.
i fix 4/5 no problem for std type taps and most of the time 'deva' valves fit.
you will need to take the 'handles' with you, not necessarily the valve.

you can also pack the bottom rubber seal that tightens the ceramic plates and can stop it dripping for a long while, using silicon grease 'food grade' on the plates (worked in well by opening & closing several times) will seal any scratches too.

I just load up on 8mm, 9mm and 10.5mm ceramic cartridges from B&Q. I keep at least a pair of each in my tap fixing box.
They are decent enough and can I can fix say 80% of dripping ceramic taps on the spot.

Try a website called notjusttaps they sell a whole range of spares for taps and the chap on the phone was very helpful and offered great advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks Knappers. Yes, good point - definitely...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Take it back to the shop.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for your response. I can't see a grub...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, I'll give it more welly!
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Debbie
D
Back