CH system losing water | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss CH system losing water in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

O

osh

First post on this forum and not a plumber by trade so apologies for the long ramble. I have a little technical knowledge so have a general understanding of CH sytems and can undertake basic maintentance on my own.

In Jan 2010 I had my old CH/hot water completely overhauled. I have a Vaillant Ecotek system boiler (on the 2nd floor) with a Heatrae Sadia Megaflo unvented mains fed indirect heated tank (on the first floor). The existing heating pipework for the ground and first floor was hardly touched (save for two new radiators installed on the ground floor), and seems to be in good condition throughout. At the same time we fitted a heated towel rail in the 2nd floor bathroom and Thermaskirt heating in the 2nd floor bedroom.

Last winter the automatic bypass Valve (Tower brand) failed. This was replaced with a different brand and at the same time an automatic air release valve was installed in the pipework near to the boiler.

Recently I have noticed that the CH system is losing water, noticeable in the towel rail as it is the highest radiator. I have bled it, and three weeks later it's at the same level. The most obvious answer is a leak in CH pipework, but I was hoping that there might be an alternative reason what could be causing it.

What I find strange is why the air in the system doesn't bleed out of the ARV, causing the system pressure to drop. Also, can anyone tell me what setting the ABV should be set to? At the moment it's at the lowest setting.

hi, first post ? sez 5, anyway, was system flushed, filter installed and inhibitor added, does the air released smell? if so could be gas caused by rads corroding due to oxygen in ch water, otherwise most probs a leak, this could be on rad connections or pipework, Also your pressure release valve maybe passing. Does system pressure rise to red area on gauge ??
The position of arv will be to release air that has been through boiler. Setting of ABV will/should be set at resistance of system and set by installer. imho

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're right, forgot about those post!!!

System was flushed at new installation (2010), inhibitor has been added twice, once at original installation and once at ABV/ARV installation. Not sure which filter you refer to...please clarify?
Air released has smell, but have always noticed that... Is this hydrogen, tested with a lit match?
Does anyone on this forum recommend the use of Fernox Leak Sealer for a problem such as this? Have heard arguments both ways.

Edit: If air is being introduced due to corrosion, would that not increase system pressure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
to remove magnetic (which corrode also produce magnetite)/ non-magnetic particles from system, usually on return to boiler to prevent particles entering boiler.
yes test with match, if burns corrosion is till occuring.
you can use leak sealer, some say it clogs pump etc but i have used it and had no probs.
no as air can be compressed
imho

Upvote 0
Don't think filter was installed. I assume it would be somewhere in the near vicinty of the boiler, and haven't seen anything like that.
If corrosion is present, what's the best cure? Change radiators, or add more inhibitor?

Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Don't think filter was installed. I assume it would be somewhere in the near vicinty of the boiler, and haven't seen anything like that.
If corrosion is present, what's the best cure? Change radiators, or add more inhibitor?

Thanks for the help
you can try more inhibitor yes and if still gasing up then good power flush and inhibitor
imo

Upvote 0
Holy swamoly. I tried the match test and expected a pop. What I got was a large light blue flame like a bunsen burner. I'm not kidding you. It gave me the fright of my life. Couldn't blow it out at first.
What have I got here?

Upvote 0
Holy swamoly. I tried the match test and expected a pop. What I got was a large light blue flame like a bunsen burner. I'm not kidding you. It gave me the fright of my life. Couldn't blow it out at first.
What have I got here?

You've got hydrogen - a by product produced as the ferrous bits of your heating system corrode (the Oxygen in H2O combines with iron to produce iron oxide, liberating hydrogen).

So, you (probably) haven't got a leak and aren't losing water, you're gaining gas (hydrogen). In your position, I'd do a basic flush and refill using the correct amount of a good quality inhibitor.

Upvote 0
I've now spoken to the plumber that last worked on the system and installed the ARV. I challenged him as to whether it's possible his worker didn't top up the inhibitor to the correct levels and he says that even if inhibitor was correct, it could still introduce that much air over such a short period of time.
He says it's possible the ARV is introducing air, and I should disable it.
Does this make any sense?

Upvote 0
I think the key is that you aren't getting air, you're getting hydrogen which is a corrosion by-product. There's no harm in isolating the AAV and seeing if it fixes the problem but my gut feeling is that it won't help.

Upvote 0
Is there a filling point on Vaillant Ecotec boilers? Seeing that the boiler is on the 2nd floor and I have no conventional radiators on that floor, the only way to introduce inhibitor would be to drain to 1st floor level.

Upvote 0
In theory, yes. However, I have this towel rail, Warm Rooms LTD Ultraheat Portofino Towel Rail, which cleverly! has the valve underneath the top horizontal bar. I have once attempted to introduce inhibitor through there, but you cannot bend the tube round 90 degress, so that it doesn't spill all over the floor. Before you ask, the blanking cap is right up against a wall, so wouldn't be able to get through there. Would you recommend loosening the main wall connections?

How about via the filling loop?

Upvote 0
You can use the filling loop but it will require at least a partial drain down. However as you should be flushing it anyway, this probably won't matter.

The good thing about using a rad is that you can just isolate it, siphon some water out and top up with inhibitor (but of course this might not be possible in your case).

Upvote 0
I will need a partial drain down anyway, as stated, due to the position of radiators. I am not going to do a flush at the moment, will leave till the summer.
I assume I disconnect the braided hose just after the filling tap?

Upvote 0
you should have two taps one on cold mains with check valve and tap on ch pipe, remove hose from cold mains side and connect to that,
use fernox express, dear but easy to use.
imo

If I understand it correctly, using Fernox Express with the filling loop connector, does NOT require a drain down.
Can anyone guesstimate how many litres my system holds? I have a 3 floor extended house, 7 large radiators, 4 small radiators and a towel rail.
Is there a point in flushing with Fernox F3 Cleaner beforehand?

Upvote 0
Given the expense of a good inhibitor like Fernox, I'd at least do a basic drain and refill flush before adding the inhibitor (even better if you add a cleaner first) - it would be a right pain to throw it all away if you decide you really should have flushed after all...

Upvote 0
Thanks. I was intending to do that anyway. IIRC, it says in the Fernox instructions that you should drain, refill and drain until it runs clear, or something like that.

Upvote 0
Apologies for resurrecting this old post but have NOT done the drain down as above posts, yet and still having the air build up! Just trying to get my head round it all. Can someone explain why, when I get the air/gas build up in the towel rad, the system pressure will go up to 2 bar. When I bleed it, without letting any water escape, the pressure will drop down to 0.3 bar and I need to top up the system. However, at the previous bleed (before the build up) the pressure was set at 0.8-1 bar. So where has the 0.5-0.7 bar of water/pressure disappeared to? Surely if I bleed off the accumulated air it should reset back to where it was?

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

A simple thing i'd probably check is the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Having thought about it i'm sure there is a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks Ben-Gee - thats a good idea! But...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
Back