change gate valve | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss change gate valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Friends

I need to change a gate valve next week that comes out of water tank supplying hot to flat.

I need to drain down but someone I know mention i dont need to drian whole tank and just drain until i think the water is below height of gate valve.

Any comments?

I was just going to drain it down but turning all taps on in flat (other than kitchen cold), wait for it to stop, change the valve and turn water back on and wait to fill, test and scarper.

Cheers
RCT

rocket,where exactly is the gate valve? is it the feed to the hot cylinder?

ok, is there a gate valve on the cold feed to the cylinder? if there is just close that.

In that case just turn off the cold feed to the cylinder, turn on hot taps until flow stops and Bob's your uncle.

There's a ISO valve supplying cold to cwsc. I can turn that off, run taps and bingo.

As I thought.thanks all.

Rct

so there isn't anything on the feed to the hot cyl? it just seems a waste running all the water out.

To cw cylinder the 15mm supy pipe has an isolation valve to turn the water off.

The 22mm pipe coming from the hw cylinder has a gate valve but it doesn't work. So when I went to change taps I couldn't isolate the HW feed as there was no other ISO valve under the sink.

Run the hot taps, feel in the tank which hole is pulling and shove a bung in it, change valve, remove bung, hey presto

Ahh thats the kiddy.

i always drain down atm as frankly my time is currently cheap, mistakes are not!

I know, I've git a gauze filter i slip over before draining and then i clean the tank.
customers like that.

as for airlocks ive only had one or two and then the aqua vac does the trick.

pros and cons to everything we do ehh :)

I know, I've git a gauze filter i slip over before draining and then i clean the tank.
customers like that.

as for airlocks ive only had one or two and then the aqua vac does the trick.

pros and cons to everything we do ehh :)

So; exactly how much do you charge for the half-hour job as originally posted then. :)

For half hours work still even if it takes longer, my time is cheap at the moment and i don't rush :)
if it takes an hour, so what, i'm happier.

i'm not too fond of the idea of using bungs anyway (yes i know i know)

i've won more repeat work and recommendations by taking my time, being calm and getting things right first time than rushing :)

Im sure that will change but for the moment!

Only teasing you mate.
By post 6 it was established that there was an iso valve on the inlet to the cylinder so a doddle of a job :)

For half hours work still even if it takes longer, my time is cheap at the moment and i don't rush :)
if it takes an hour, so what, i'm happier.

i'm not too fond of the idea of using bungs anyway (yes i know i know)

i've won more repeat work and recommendations by taking my time, being calm and getting things right first time than rushing :)

Im sure that will change but for the moment!

Nothing wrong with bungs and I take my time too.

How much then? New valve less than a fiver so a bit more with mark up!

With labour?

Phil, i suppose id have more faith if id seen them used more, successfully aswell!

50 quid as the call out, tenner for the valve (lever full bore) i guess.

I never get this sort of work tbh.

I usually end up on my own work doing
oil servicing, medium size central heating jobs or boiler installs.

Rest of it is subbying and both guys won't touch "little jobs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Figured it out!! Had to drain the tank via the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply and information so far...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could have 2 separate feeds or from a booster...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
Yes correct valve handle The one on the tank...
Replies
Views
Back