Change sides of toilet handle | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Change sides of toilet handle in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sillybog

Hi, I have a standard home toilet with the cistern directly behind the throne. I would like to change the handle from the left side of the cistern to the right.

Is this easy to do or would it be best to get a professional in?

I have seen many web pages about replacing the toilet handle (side lever type) but can't find any on changing the side.

If it's better to get a plumber in, any rough estimate of the cost in London?

Thanks for any help/links

edit: forgot to mention it's a standard ballflush fitting not a button one. Which makes me wonder how easy is it to fit a button type?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi sillybog, it can be a very simple job depending on the cistern.

Take the lid off and have a look, the linkages should be the same length from the handle on the left to the blank on the right from the syphon in the centre, if so, just unlink it and reverse it over. Changing to a button flush will mean changing the syphon too, thats a bit more work as you have to separate the cistern from the pan, not difficult just time consuming.

You will have to rotate the syphon to the handle side. Which means taking it out, so you might as well fit a new push buttion one.

this will only work if you actually have a spare blanked hole on the other side of the cistern to mount the handle through.

as said better off putting in a button flush valve fluid master make a good one you could use a chrome blank to blank the old hole on your finished surface

Wow, great forum, thanks for all the replies. I guess it's time to look into a push button type.

Hi, yes the cistern has handle holes on both sides.

However looking at the gubbins inside the central bit (siphon?) is not symmetrical and faces one way, so I suppose as GaryWhite says I might as well start again with a push button type, rather than drain the cistern and twist it round (would have to remove it to twist it round).

Would this be the correct replacement? Fluidmaster UK - Complete Conversion - Fill Valve 1/2", Flush Valve 1-1/2" & Pushbutton Kit or this one Fluidmaster UK - Complete Conversion - Fill Valve 1/2", Flush Valve 1-1/2" with Front Mounted Handle Adaptor Kit
What's so great about the push button type compared to a handle?

Sorry for my dumb questions, I've taken toilets for granted all my life.
I reckon two of the best inventions ever are the toilet and central heating. Both plumbing related!

yes without them you would be sat in a cold house having to go out to a hole in the garden for your two a day or what ever motobolism you are.

The second one is a lever handle and the first is a push button so the chocie is yours

Push buttons look better in my opinion

the fluid master aslo has adjustable flush to save water so good for environment and bills if on a meter

its still cheaper to take cistern off, turn the internall syphon around and swap handle to other side

but the choice is yours

we are here to help if you get stuck

You don't need to replace it all. It's not that hard to turn the syphon round the other way, just undo the big nut at the bottom and reconnect the other way round (use fresh washers and seals for it available from any plumbers merchant).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

B
Sometimes you have to think outside the box...
Replies
Views
I would call it installer error. Maybe from...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately just because it works now...
Replies
Views
Take the jumper out and sell it in a grot...
Replies
Views
Back