Changing a lockshield on a combi boiler system | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Changing a lockshield on a combi boiler system in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kevg

I've got a combi boiler system (valliant) which was fitted about 18 months ago. Recently took a rad off to redecorate but when coming to put it back on and open the lockshield it weeps. I've tighten the nut underneath and packed the gland but it still weeps so I want to change it.

I thought by closing the isolation valves on the flow and return to the boiler and then opening the valve to release pressure this would create a lock I need to change it but there are no isolation valves on any pipes under the boiler. SOmebody said about an auto air vent but have no idea what this is and where it comes into the equation.

Any help appreciated thanks

U,mm depends mate really if you close the trv on the rad turn boilel off and take some of the pressure off the sytem you could get away with it. But if in doubt drain it.

even by isolating the valves at the boiler its a sealed system under pressure and will **** out if you undo the valve
you will have to drain down to replace

even by isolating the valves at the boiler its a sealed system under pressure and will **** out if you undo the valve
you will have to drain down to replace
with experience and subject to location you can do quick swops by shutting of boiler but for an amatuer id just drain it if you close all radvalves first it will be quick to refill

with experience and subject to location you can do quick swops by shutting of boiler but for an amatuer id just drain it if you close all radvalves first it will be quick to refill

confused steve how will you stop the water coming out as even by isolating the boiler the system will **** out as soon as u undo the valve??

confused steve how will you stop the water coming out as even by isolating the boiler the system will **** out as soon as u undo the valve??
you let some drain and it will hold up like using bungs not reccomended on white carpets
most of the time you can turn carpet back and dust sheet

just drain it if I was you. Customers dont like to see water coming out

I would take the time to put iso valves on tho for future maintenance

You don't have to drain down mate. Blow the pressure off the chb...completely. It is said that if you close the auto air vent off it is like bunging with a system boiler, I've never done it. Plenty of covers /absorbants around the pipe... undo and snatch it. With the pressure off there'll b a little water but be cool it's very little all under control. I've done it many times

Hi I am with Rory on this one. The average DOC lets more water on the floor than changing a valve on the average combi system live. Providing it anit Blenheim Palace. I would open PRV to release pressure, isolate rad both ends crack valve union, drain in to baking tray (found in oven) Check compression fitting is compatible with existing on pipe and turned off, make sure systems cold (just in case, it burns) undo faulty valve, holding nut between fingers or mole grips on pipe at low level.(in case it slides down pipe and through large hole in floor board) Then wip it off and new on double quick. No Drama. and it extends a plumber life. As apposed to sitting about for hours draining, filling and putting additives in system.

Hi I am with Rory on this one. The average DOC lets more water on the floor than changing a valve on the average combi system live. Providing it anit Blenheim Palace. I would open PRV to release pressure, isolate rad both ends crack valve union, drain in to baking tray (found in oven) Check compression fitting is compatible with existing on pipe and turned off, make sure systems cold (just in case, it burns) undo faulty valve, holding nut between fingers or mole grips on pipe at low level.(in case it slides down pipe and through large hole in floor board) Then wip it off and new on double quick. No Drama. and it extends a plumber life. As apposed to sitting about for hours draining, filling and putting additives in system.
i never touch a prv unless in desperate once opened the feckers alway drip for me

but you are right about DOC's though even the sealed ones leak as you have to open the gland nut to get any flow thru thats assuming the washers not stuck

Last edited:
prv open 2-3 times and they require replacing, experience.
drain down do it properly and charge for it.

drain down the system as needed dont cut corners
WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG NOW !

dont touch blow off just drain from the said valve (usually just till pressure is lost) and snatch it ( a rapid swap) job done... i've done stop taps using snatch method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I have a combi-boiler system and while I...
Replies
Views
Allan 1234
A
Sounds like filling loop left open
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
Back