Changing a radiator, to flush or not first | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Changing a radiator, to flush or not first in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

I have a rusty radiator in the bathroom, not worth repainting as there is already paint on top of rust. It will be straightforward for me to change myself, I can get an identical replacement Stellrad, which makes things easy. The water in the system has inhibitors in it and a Fernox TF1 has kept the system clean for years. Should I add a system flushing product and make sure it gets through every radiator before draining down? Having the Fernox TF1 would make this easy to do. The system will get new inhibitor when it is refilled.

If your system is as clean as you think no point but if you suspect your other rads are also corroded (internally) you might want to take the opportunity to try and remove any sitting corrosion.

If your system is as clean as you think no point but if you suspect your other rads are also corroded (internally) you might want to take the opportunity to try and remove any sitting corrosion.
In the 11 years since the system was filled, the magnetic unit in the Fernox has been taken out by me about 4 times. There has not been much in the way of rust on it ever, and not much general debris has drained from it. The inhibitor must have been working. Also in that time, there has been no need to bleed any of the radiators, so no hydrogen has been given off. It might well be just a waste of money and effort using a flushing agent, although I will have to add new inhibitor

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
No, I can try this, out of interest, what is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Correct. Bleed from bottom up to allow air...
Replies
Views
I cleaned out the secondary heat exchanger the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'd say wait till the spring time let your...
Replies
Views
Back