Changing of plumber | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Changing of plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Koogatubac

Had crazy 8years of plumbing life
Here it goes:

Started off on warmfront as a 1st year to a 3rd year apprentice, working fast and doing a full heating per day

Recession kicked in then went on a training scheme to get me through my gas which basically got used and very much abused working for random firms for 1year

Got my gas, started subbying for a local council doing bathroom swaps in a day which was a absolute eyeopener from disquisting crappy bathrooms (literally) to being offered sex by young mums because i was a plumber and her pipes needed 'cleaning'

Left that and went working for a firm as a site plumber which i was pretty much a zombie, every house the same, no thinking really

Went self employed for a brief time basically servicing and boiler repairs, didnt like it and within 3 months of this time got 4 job offers, 2 were really good ones, ended up taking 1

Starting monday, im a 'in the sticks' traditional plumber hardly touching gas, mostly biomass, solid fuel, lpg and alot of oil (o and best of all, ALL COPPER WORK, they love pipe bending and barn conversions where pipework is on show, so bending has to be tip top). Where im working, within a 20mile radius the location has 4 plumber firms, 2 of them custards said they wouldnt touch with a barge pole! - hopefully this is where i will retire or even have ALOT of years at this small business :)

Any other recent peoples stories any1 would like to share? :)

O and inbetween of getting laid off about 6 times in that timescale thought about packing in plumbing lol (4 of which was same employer who laid me off when site was dead for a week only just so he didnt have to give me a permenant contract!)

Yeah, i subbyed for the guy first and thought that this cant work for me since im used to town way of boilers and gas however its alot more varied plus each customer seems to have alot of money so they want the best job which obviously takes time :) worked with upinor pipe the other day, the steel pipe coated in like a plastic, 16mm which i really liked, with your hands you cant kink it, was the first time ive heard in the pipe :)

I would have stayed on the bathroom swaps if I was getting offers like that

27520_131969930148538_7282_n.jpg

Yeah, i subbyed for the guy first and thought that this cant work for me since im used to town way of boilers and gas however its alot more varied plus each customer seems to have alot of money so they want the best job which obviously takes time :) worked with upinor pipe the other day, the steel pipe coated in like a plastic, 16mm which i really liked, with your hands you cant kink it, was the first time ive heard in the pipe :)

It's not steel pipe mate it's multi layered pipe
Uponor mlc pipe is good but need to many fittings to change to copper ect should be better sizing of pipes

It's not steel pipe mate it's multi layered pipe
Uponor mlc pipe is good but need to many fittings to change to copper ect should be better sizing of pipes

Thanks mate for pointing it out! Can tell ive only used it once :):) yeah also gotta debur it to put the fitting in to convert it to fit in a 15mm fitting

I would have stayed on the bathroom swaps if I was getting offers like that

27520_131969930148538_7282_n.jpg

Haha was quite funny some bathrooms but it was fast in and out, plus the new repipe of the bathroom was all plastic due to speed. I found out what 'council bashing' was all about! Looked real good at the end when the joiner and tiler did their bits! Lol since the plumber was the first in you also had to take 3 walls of tiles off, plus the old boxing all off. Plus had a right challenge of getting a decent fixing when the old plaster all fell off! Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Wow thanks for posting. And thanks for posting...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
The NVQ only segment of your overall...
Replies
Views
True. Would have been fun otherwise - 5 zone...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Back