changing over from domestic gas to commercial gas ticket?? | Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss changing over from domestic gas to commercial gas ticket?? in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

3083sam

Gas Engineer
Hi, Im a gas safe registered engineer with domestic acs qualifications and am looking to do a commercial gas ticket. Do i need commercial experience to have the training and take the exams?? Also does anyone know how difficult the course is??
Many thanks.

What elements are you going to take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did my changeover about 4 years ago, you dont need a portfolio but it would be handy to get some experience in with the different kinds of appliances. To be honest i found it easier than the domestic but I was working with a firm doing commercial stuff at the time. I don't do much now as I'm self employed and the demand doesn't seem to be worth re-taking it.
Good Luck.

I did my changeover about 4 years ago, you dont need a portfolio but it would be handy to get some experience in with the different kinds of appliances. To be honest i found it easier than the domestic but I was working with a firm doing commercial stuff at the time. I don't do much now as I'm self employed and the demand doesn't seem to be worth re-taking it.
Good Luck.

Basically i have my own heating firm and i always get phone calls seeing if i do commercial gas work and was just wondering how involved it was.
Thanks for your help

I sat my COCN1, Air heating, pipework & water CH year and a half ago. The training and examination was similar to the Gas re-sit. However back in the real world it takes some getting use to commercial set-ups and system designs. I've found it really rewarding learning new stuff ... Not for the feint hearted though! IMO

I do both and new starts scare me on the commercial side.
Commercial stuff is pretty much the same principles as domestic but on a bigger scale. If you are an old head domestic guy there will be nothing too unfamiliar and nothing you can't figure out.
If however you are a combi fitter you are in for a big shock.

How did i get into it? Just kind of drifted there.
Served my time with a really good company where i got experience in every aspect of the trade (some of it not technically correct as i found out in later years).
Then moved between jobs and usually got sent to the bigger stuff as i had more than half a clue and could talk a good game if i didn't (what i didn't know i knew dozens of guys who did).
Then i just kind of moved into it when se as i was being asked to do more of it (yes i used to do it without the tickets) so about 10 years ago i thought i better sit the abc's of commercial and be legal.

If you have never seen or done any I&C stuff you will sh it yourself when you first do and i bet you will not be able to figure out how to kill something before you work on it.
It is easier if you are employed with someone as you will possibly have a mate or can always ask someone what you don't know.
Doing it on your own with no experience (and no acs course will learn you much about it) is like swimming with sharks with 10lb of steak tied to your rse.

Imho it depends where you area of work is ,the domestic boiler scene has totally died a death for me since the eco scheme started up pretty much killed me over night .

However over last couple years have had alot of commercial installs and commercial gas has come with this and its pains me to get a friend in who is commercial and watch him sting my pocket to do his work ,the money i have spent using him i could have done my change over .

I am hoping to book it in for october

I personally don"t think its something you can just get into overnight.Everytime I resit my commercial acs they want to see my previous acs Tickets & won"t let you do them without them.You need to make sure your familiar with BMS,ct & vt pumps,pressurisation units,mixing valves & sometimes complicated control panels.Good luck

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
It all depends on what your doing Servicing...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Not all commercial boilers are 70 kwatt...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I agree. (I hold domestic, commercial and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
We just charge it by the hour like everything...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the reply @Timmy D thats a...
Replies
Views
Back