Changing unvented cylinder immersion element | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Changing unvented cylinder immersion element in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I"ve got my G3 unvented.
Customer wants an immersion element changing. Access is limited - once I get into the cupboard, and I do my electrical tests it hopefully might just be the stat that needs swapping.
However, if it is the element... words of advice and tips would be appreciated. It looks straightforward enough to change. But will it be tricky in reality? Tight to unscrew? Difficult to seal? Etc.
Advice from those who have been before me would be great.
Thanks everyone,
Jennie

IMG_1594.JPG

They are easier than traditional ones in my opinion, they are often sealed with a thick o-ring rather than a fibre washer.

So only do up hand tight plus a nip with an immersion spanner , rather than a five foot scaffold pole on a copper cylinder!

Equally this usually means they are easy to undo...

I think you’ll get that out, the element is a bit thinner than the traditional ones and a bit easier to get out at an angle if you have to.

Looks like from the part number it's one of these.
As Ben-gee, it's sealed with an O ring so should come out fairly easilly.

More often than not tho', it's the Cotherm plug in stat that's failed.

UNVENT element 14.PNG

As Scott says the drain off can be your biggest problem, that it why I always undo the hot water outlet and syphon the cylinder out with a trusty hosepipe - much quicker. Either run it to outside or the nearest lavatory.
Also remember procedure to drain unvented, but you’re G3 so you know that.
Good luck, it’ll be fine.

Some direct cylinders the bottom immersion is sometimes below the drain off. 10/10 for the designers of those.

Unvented immersions are a lot easier than vented imho.

You will probably find its the thermostat which just plugs in.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks. It’s pretty powerful. At least 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello John yes, that’s right pressure...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The want of a secondary return is primarily to...
Replies
Views
Back