Chasing in pipework | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Chasing in pipework in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

M

MetManMark

All
We have had a few quotes for the installation of a new central heating system. It is a Listed Building with some nice period features that we are unearthing as we renovate it slowly. It has some suspended floors downstairs and some solid floors. Some of the plumbers have recommended putting radiators in less than ideal positions such that you could do radiators back to back etc to minimise visible pipework - others have suggested just having 'drops' into each room. We had decided on the later (as they will probably be masked by curtains etc, however, the last chap suggested chasing out the walls to run the pipework beneath the paster. My initial concern was wrt leaks but he suggested that they would be using a single pipe to go from above the ceiling to beneath the floorboard so there couldn't be any leaks in the wall.
We have yet to get the cost of any of these options but what are people's thoughts? What are the downsides to having pipe work in the plaster? Presumably there could be issues with expansion or vibration of the pipes causing damage to plasterwork?
Cheers
Mark

what type of plasterwork do you have?(plaster board, traditional browning and skim)

normally you will only have problems if its installed poorly, i would think its going to cost alot more money for chasing?

Lime plaster with some horse hair mortar beneath with solid walls beneath. Some internal walls are lath & plaster. I am inclined to have all the pipes on top (rather than inside) the walls.
Mark

Lime plaster with some horse hair mortar beneath with solid walls beneath. Some internal walls are lath & plaster. I am inclined to have all the pipes on top (rather than inside) the walls.
Mark
Don't really like exposed pipework but with lime plaster I'd leave exposed as lime plaster will rot the copper

If you are having exposed pipe drops then you can fit the pipe into trunking, or box the pipes in and then paint the boxing/trunking. Will make it look more discreet.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Tiling over like that will be absolutely fine...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
You could chase the pipes in along the route...
Replies
Views
the op says no water in prv balloon so not prv...
Replies
Views
  • Question
How did you go about heating the extension in...
Replies
Views
Back