checking the FSD on boilers? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss checking the FSD on boilers? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sterry_12

hi lads, im doing my acs gas training and was just wondering how to test the FSD on boilers? can you just knock the gas off? checked a cooker hotplate which was easy enough but never checked a boilers.

thanks.

run boiler, turn gas off, boiler should keep sparking, or stop, should go into lockout.

Time the fsd. About 60 seconds on boiler, may differ with appliance so you'll need to check MIs.
Also you may want to check gas valve to make sure it's not passing.
Stick u-gauge on P1, close isolation valve and wait until fsd closes. Open and close isolation valve again. If the gauge drops, the valve is passing.

to do it correctly you need to confirm that the gas is shut down at the gas valve, so you can either perform a mini tightness test at the applaince or a tightness test at the meter. This is what they are looking for on your ACS or Gas Safe inspection.

are we talking combi boilers? they dont have a fsd they have a detection probe and circuit and as stated turn the gas off ,if we are talking a fsd like a oxygen depletion sensor that would typically have a thermocouple,pilot injector with depletion port and a spark electrode what you would need to do is simulate a dirty/blocked pilot assembly using a large, flat bladed driver put it between the thermocouple and pilot jet the thermocouple should chill and shut down

An auto ignition boiler should shut down in 2 minutes I.e. a modern condenser should lock out in 2 mins.
There is a TB about it

i dont think I can remember ever doing that unless i suspected there was an issue with a smell of gas or suspected a faulty gas valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thank you for keeping me safe. If it is the...
Replies
Views
T
I know you must be frustrated, but as gmartine...
Replies
Views
Thank you for reply. I have isolated the noise...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Could be right above the boiler pipework or...
Replies
Views
Back