Chilly central heating!! | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Chilly central heating!! in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sniper77

Hi there,

I'm not a plumber but I think I might need some advice if possible please. I have a problem with my flats central heating, effectively my radiators are not staying on.

I've got a boiler which the temperature is set about half way to max. The thermostat on the hot water cylinder is set to about 45c and the room temp stat is set to about 25c.

I have the central heating panel set on 'constant' however the rads come on, but then go off after a shortish time even though the temperature is nowhere near 25c. This process is then repeated.

I have tried upping the boiler temp but this makes no difference.

Any tips or advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks, James.

Sounds like a circulation problem possibly the pump/air/blockage. What type of system do you have? Also it's reccomended to turn the stat on your cylinder upto 60 degrees to stop bacterial growth such as legionella.

Could be the 3 port valve, sometimes they only fire up when the cyl is calling for heat in mid position, but shuts off when water up to temp!

Does turning the cyl stat up start the boiler up again & rads to warm?

Thanks for replying so quickly. Being new to the site I didn't know whether I'd get any replies!

Right, not sure what you mean by system Whn1?! But there is a pump involved. (Sorry!)

gassafe, I'll try turning the cylinder stat up and see what happens.

Suppose it's all trial and error to identify the issue, just infuriating when it's snowing outside!!

Cheers so far, James.

Ok so I've turned the cylinder stat up to about 70c and a few seconds later the boiler fired up and the rads got hotter. Just waiting to see how long before they cool down again!

Ok so I've turned the cylinder stat up to about 70c and a few seconds later the boiler fired up and the rads got hotter. Just waiting to see how long before they cool down again!

Sounds like the boiler shuts off when the hot water is up to temperature, the 3 port valve is not telling it to switch over to heating when cylinder satisfied.

have you got a three port motor valve in your airing cupboard? Best get an engineer in to check it out!

Gassafe I've taken a photo of the 3 port valve. Can't tell you anymore about it though tbh! image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the end decided to follow Chuck’s advice...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, I have a new built house with the...
Replies
Views
PierpaoloB
P
i am assuming that this room stat is wireless...
Replies
Views
Hi Timmy D, Thanks so much for your reply...
Replies
Views
Change the boiler as anything is just putting...
Replies
Views
Back