Cistern Float change | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cistern Float change in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hello. Need some help please...I have a concealed cistern and the side entry float keeps getting stuck. I have done jobs such as changing these things before but a little bit hesitant as unfamiliar with the connection I can see before me. I know its a compression one but can I undo the nut without needed a new compression fitting ? Any advice would be welcome please e.g how do I go about changing the side entry float and any recommendations on which one to buy that will fit a concealed
cistern...Appreciate the help.
IMG_20200418_105508.jpg

You have three connectors:
1. The nut which joins the white plastic pipe to the threaded shank of the toilet's fill valve. This is what is known as a tank connector. It is not a compression joint but has a 1/2" (pipe size, not physical size) fibre washer inside it which seals against the flat edge of the inlet shank.
2. The nuts at top and bottom of the isolation valve. These are compression nuts. In theory you shouldn't have to touch them, just turn the water off at the screwdriver slot between them.

Your pipework does not look as if it is square, but appears to be pushed away from the cistern at the top. This may make it more difficult to install a new inlet valve, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Many thanks. Im going to order a side float. So hopefully, if i undo the nut on the tank connector I should be able to tighten it back up?

You have three connectors:
1. The nut which joins the white plastic pipe to the threaded shank of the toilet's fill valve. This is what is known as a tank connector. It is not a compression joint but has a 1/2" (pipe size, not physical size) fibre washer inside it which seals against the flat edge of the inlet shank.
2. The nuts at top and bottom of the isolation valve. These are compression nuts. In theory you shouldn't have to touch them, just turn the water off at the screwdriver slot between them.

Your pipework does not look as if it is square, but appears to be pushed away from the cistern at the top. This may make it more difficult to install a new inlet valve, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Many thanks. Im going to order a side float. So hopefully, if i undo the nut on the tank connector I should be able to tighten it back up?
Important. It is really easy to cross thread plastic male thread on to the female securing nut and it will leak. Put the new ball valve in then put the lock nut on very loosely so you can move the whole thing. Then connect the supply to the valve by hand with washer in, watch for it cross threading. Then when correct and tight then tighten up lock nut on the cistern....tried and tested. Centralheatking

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t get a photo...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It may just be grit or other contamination in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just remove the cistern and do the job...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hand tight plus maybe half a flat (30 degrees)
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just installed - works a treat! Thanks! A bit...
Replies
Views
Back