Cistern keeps overflowing | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cistern keeps overflowing in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

My cistern kept overflowing randomly was told it was probably caused by the bottom filling valve failing I purchased one and
cistern valve.jpg
a plumber fitted it and tested it and all seemed well, we where away for a couple of weeks and came back and there was no evidence that it had been overflowing but after using the toilet for a number of times it seems worse than before! the level of the water in the tank is set at about 1/2 below the overflow pipe. the feed to the cistern is from a header tank and not the mains, it is slow to fill the cistern. Any ideas?

With a gravity feed you are better off with an “old fashioned” float valve- it will be quicker to fill than an equilibrium valve and is usually easily repaired.

However; if yours is not shutting off there could well be some debris obstructing the diaphragm seal - this is easily cleared using a mug as described on box/instructions.

Do you have an isolation valve to this toilet? Things can be improved if this is a full bore valve rather than a regular bsll-o-fix type.

Pictures of you set up and inside cistern would help.

With a gravity feed you are better off with an “old fashioned” float valve- it will be quicker to fill than an equilibrium valve and is usually easily repaired.

However; if yours is not shutting off there could well be some debris obstructing the diaphragm seal - this is easily cleared using a mug as described on box/instructions.

Do you have an isolation valve to this toilet? Things can be improved if this is a full bore valve rather than a regular bsll-o-fix type.

Pictures of you set up and inside cistern would help.
Here's my setup had been working for over 20 years without a problem

Attachments

• cistern.jpg
    cistern.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 30
  • isolationvalve.jpg
    isolationvalve.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 29
Yes ignore the pipe that’s for USA toilets trap primer

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thank you. Worked a treat,
Replies
Views
  • Question
How is the tank fed ? As the both pipes...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To be fair, it depends on how the bathrooms...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You might find it just needs a bit of use
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, that's all I needed to know. I...
Replies
Views
Back