Cleaning Copper Pipe | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cleaning Copper Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I create things using copper pipe such as lamps etc. I would like to know if someone has a very simple way of removing the tarnish that is visible after soldering copper pipe? The best way I have found is wire wool, however, I'm not a huge fan of the stuff and I tend to go through quite a lot.

I have tried wd40 and brasso but that just doesn't give the same finish as wire wool does. Does anyone know of a solution that will clean well with very little effort please?

Any help would be appreciated.

Try not to tarnish the pipe when soldering. Don't overheat it.
Use the plumbing abrasive strips to clean the pipe later. (The type that resemble the abrasive pads for scrubbing saucepans).
Lasts much longer than steel wool and easy on your hands. Although some fine grade steel wool is hard to beat

If you are simply soldering copper pipes together, try 'grease' based flux, like traditional Yorkshire or Fluxite. It will let the solder flow well and leave the pipe fairly clean if you don't overheat it

Try 'Scotch Brite' abrasive pads and sponges. They come in various grades and sizes so you'll need to experiment to find the perfect combination. People often use two. One for the initial clean and then a second finer (or more worn out) one to finish.

See for example:

Abrasive Pads: Paint & Body Shop Supplies | eBay

Try some brown sauce seen it been done on an old victorian slab urinal with copper pipework brought it up like new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hello, I am just catching up on some threads...
Replies
Views
I think I’ve found the source of the original...
Replies
Views
Wire wool and then solder the fitting
Replies
Views
  • Question
Never did try to scare the OP Ric! But I...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back