close coupling Toilet | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss close coupling Toilet in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leslie50

Hi
Am having trouble fitting a close coupling toilet . The toilet is from B Q, as it never came with a Cistern ,I pick the close coupling kit up from local plumbers ,the problem I am having is that the Cistern it self does not sit right on the toilet , and of course it drips from one of the wing nuts,it seems the doughnut washer is to fat and stops the cistern sitting correctly ,I thought they were fairly standard ,or not. any ideas please.
Regards
Leslie

When you say it never came with a cistern, do you mean you only bought the pan? Or do you mean it never came with the siphon inside the cistern?

If you believe the the doughnut it too large, pop to your local plumbers merchant, there are lots of different types available.

Are you sure the siphon nut is tight enough also?

Sorry I never made my self clear, it never came with the siphon , re the siphon nut ,it is on tight,also the wing nuts are tight.

you need to purchase a foam doughnut washer rather than the rubber one you are probably using, they are always causing leaks... when fitting the foam washer push it over the syphon backing nut then err on the side of caution and apply a bead of silicone around the pan inlet hole that the tail of syphon sits in, also take care not to over tighten the wing nuts as this in my experience can cause head aches mate,,,, hope this helps

As daveplumber said I'd use some mastic. Squeeze a ring of silicone where the doughnuts sits on the pan, stick the doughnuts on the ring of silicone and then apply another ring on the doughnuts itself and whack the cistern on and tighten up.
That should sort the leak. Good luck.

Shouldn't need mastic or silicone between cistern and pan, doughnut will be enough. In fact one of my pet hates and greatest chance of swearing in front of a customer.

My two pence, use silicone in the gap between the siphon and the cistern, which is under the siphon nut. When you join the cistern to the pan I use bolt then cone rubber washer if not flat rubber washer, then through cistern followed by flat rubber washer then penny washer followed by nut. This makes cistern water tight, use foam doughnut as they are not so thick. then flat rubber washer, penny washer and wing nut. You then can level up cistern with out worrying about the bolts leaking. Most cisterns will not come with the extra washers but worth a trip to screw fix.

you need to purchase a foam doughnut washer rather than the rubber one you are probably using, they are always causing leaks... when fitting the foam washer push it over the syphon backing nut then err on the side of caution and apply a bead of silicone around the pan inlet hole that the tail of syphon sits in, also take care not to over tighten the wing nuts as this in my experience can cause head aches mate,,,, hope this helps

Exactly how i do them and been doing it this way for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
“Our builder” - I found your problem. I...
Replies
Views
Any ideas on the a decent flush to wall close...
Replies
Views
Please come back with a photo and words of the...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately some new build plumbing is not...
Replies
Views
You would have extreme trouble finding a...
Replies
Views
Back