Cold central heating pipework | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cold central heating pipework in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Plumbed some pipework in my kitchen for a new radiator last year, now the kitchen is completed it's time to fit the rad, although now i can't remember which pipe is the flow and which is the return, with the pipework hidden i thought I could solve this by turning the heat on and seeing which pipe heat up first, the problem is they both remain cold??? Any suggestions or does it even matter? Won't be any trv going on.
Thanks

If you must find out which is the flow pipe, just connect a piece of pipe between the 2 rad valves and open the valves when system cold. Then just see which valve heats first when boiler starts

I would feel the pipe(s) which the new rad is teed into personally. The first one to heat up is the flow.
Although the pipework is hidden. You must of teed into somewhere unless buried.

Yep as said above won't heat up until flow passing through. So connect up either way round and fit a bi-directional TRV.

Only potential hiccup is if its a tall vertical style radiator as some of these have a plate inside the flow side (generally have stickers on rear of rad) that encourages even heatup. If these rads are put on with reversed flow then sometimes they suffer with uneven heat across the radiator.

Similar plumbing topics

You seem to have got it sorted, but for future...
Replies
Views
Since it became normal for trv's to be bi...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Back