Cold Rad | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cold Rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
got a cold rad at my mates house I noticed the other day, he thought it was air so I bled it and only water came out so then I made sure both valves were open, took TRV head off pressed it in a couple of times an still nothing, cranked down lockshields in house as they were all fully open to about half full and still nothing, return pipe gets hot up until the lockshield then that is it water is not circulating, haven't really done anything else apart from that but thought it may have been some sort of blockage but the house is only 7 year old and its a combi system on a 10mm microbore plastic system, anything else it could be ? was a saturday and I was already half way through my wine so wasn't really interested lol

TRV body can be faulty. Sometimes the washer sticks down or the works inside seize up & hammering the pin doesn't always work as the pin is a separate part. I would turn both valves off & open each one into a hose or bucket. Soon proves if it's valve or pipe problem.

Well Gerry it could be as simples as an airlock. Was it a 'dropper' by any chance, fed from above? A new build from 10yrs ago? Could even be the trv stuck!

Try and find out the plastic used IMO ... single wall means problems ... :)

its on 1st floor directly above boiler pretty much, and its a combi so i dont think its an air lock, just cant really see sludge as the problem

not likely to be sludge as this usually (but not always) settles on bottom rads.
not likely to be balancing as this seems to be first rad in system.
most likely air lock

shut all other radiator valves and see if this rad works, if it works, then air/ balancing, if not then sludge on manifold possibly.

I had one like that few year ago suddenly never got hot with 10 mm supply on f/r turned out when it was installed the pipe had slight kink in it behind the rad .

I'd turn off valves, empty radiator and remove it.

Then open valves and see what happens.

was on site few years ago where on few installs had probs galore with the heating , turned out someone had been breaking up polystyrene into little balls and putting it into the pipes ,,,,created havoc !!

I'd agree with 'DKA' ... remove rad and check the flows through the pipes... At least that way you should be able to eliminate one or two possibles.... I've had all sorts stop flow to rads ... one was when i go overboard with ptfe and cover the tail end without noticing, kinks also cause grief ... It'd be interesting to know the out come though :)

yes well when i get round to doing it I'll let you know :p will be a nightmare lovely cream carpet and its one of those houses you need to take your shoes off at the door so I will need to be careful not to get any iron oxide on the carpet :p

Turn off all the other rads in the house and force the flow to the troublesome rad. Give the TRV a good smack on the side aswell incase it is sticking. If that doesnt work then I'd take the rad off and pull water through the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

With CH selected on, if you open a hot tap...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This diverter is 145mm long and inserted at...
Replies
Views
You seem to have got it sorted, but for future...
Replies
Views
Thanks a lot, put lots more turns on + some...
Replies
Views
Pin hole leak on suction side of pump.
Replies
Views
Back