Cold water expansion vessel failure | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cold water expansion vessel failure in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GabiW14

The cold water expansion vessel (24l) of a three-year-old system has failed and my plumber says that it must be because it was too small for the 300l hot water tank and proposes to instal an additional vessel for safety (as well as replacing the failed vessel). The manufacturers (Geminox) say this is not necessary and that adding an extra expansion vessel will not make a difference to the resilience of the system. Any views?

Also should I buy the vessel from the boiler manufacturer or are these things standard and I would be ok to go with another (cheaper) trusted brand?

Cheers

24 litre seems the norm for a 300 litre tank.

It probably failed because the vessel pressure was not checked & recharged where necessary evey year!

You must only fit a potable expansion vessel that the unvented unit manufacturer recommends, or they could walk away from the warranty. You should be able usually to obtain the same vessel from a merchant and not have to buy from manufacturer. A larger vessel will do no harm and manufacturer will probably not object, but I can't see why your plumber would insist on increasing the original spec.
As above^^, I am thinking the vessel has been neglected

Ps do not fit yourself you must be G3 qualified

Last edited:
Any new vessel needs to be adjusted / set to the correct pressure before the system is turned back on.

Vessels are supplied over charged for most applications if it is over pressured it effectively reduces the capacity (size) of the vessel.

You don't have a secondary return (circulation pump) system installed, do you? as it is a large cylinder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
Very true mate he isn’t questioning me he just...
Replies
Views
All sorted now chaps. As Gary said it was due...
Replies
Views
A resume of the outcome would be polite...Rob...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Mick, Had a quick look at the model 1000...
Replies
Views
Back