Cold water storage cistern overflowing | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cold water storage cistern overflowing in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,

I could use some ideas please - I've been looking at a CWSC that's overflowing but not all the time (which makes me think it's not the ball valve). It appears to happen only when the immersion heater is switched on but the water doesn't come from the vent pipe like I'd expect. The immersion was set to 75 degrees C so I turned it down to 60 and am awaiting the results. Does this ring any bells with anyone and could 75 degree water possibly push cold water back up the cold feed to the cylinder? I must admit I'm a bit stumped. Does this ring any bells with anyone? Thank you for any help. Confused from Bedfordshire!

CWSC overflowing ... Expect the ball valve but look for other possible causes! As gas man asks, "direct or indirect system?" .......... 75degC ... besides electric, is yor water heated otherwise?

i would guess ball valve!
i bet it leaks through the night when no-one is using the hot water tap, and stops during the day when people are using the tap!

i'd change this first! its cheap and quick.....rule this out first before wasting time looking for other possible causes which may not even be there!!

KJ

Change ball valve before even investigating. For a few quid 99 times out of 100 you'll not be called back. But if description of times and methods of overflow raise confusion you could cellotape bit of tissue paper over end of vent pipe while there (it won't stand in the way of venting if it occurs.) That way if they call you back you can know whether it came through vent or not.

i would guess ball valve!
i bet it leaks through the night when no-one is using the hot water tap, and stops during the day when people are using the tap!

i'd change this first! its cheap and quick.....rule this out first before wasting time looking for other possible causes which may not even be there!!

KJ

Exactly how i would put it.

I would turn the stat down first of all, then MAYBE change the BV, then check the cold feed to the cylinder, by putting you hand in the tank and seeing if its warmish or if you cant do that, just feel the cold feed to the cylinder, it could be venting back into the tank that way

(having the stat set at 75 will really eat the juice and scale up the cylinder)

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Okay, so this shower is a potential route for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Not seen it that bad before
Replies
Views
  • Question
It can back fill through the outlet.
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
To be fair, it depends on how the bathrooms...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
Back