cold water tank in attic overflowing but ballvalve OK | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss cold water tank in attic overflowing but ballvalve OK in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

A few weeks ago we had a new kitchen sink fitted. Immediately afterwards the cold water tank in attic started overflowing. Fitted new ballvalve but did not help.

We have had 2 plumbers look at the problem and they do not know what the problem is.
We do not have central heating so the cold water tank in the attic just feeds the immersion heater.
Overflow pours out even when immersion heater is off and water is cold.

When the new sink was fitted they did not go into attic at all, just turned off cold water supply under sink and in the airing cupboard above the immersion heater.

The cold water tank in attic is filling despite the ballvalve being new and working fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how we can fix this?

It's backfilling, cold water is passing through your new mixer tap and going up the hot water pipe, through your hot water cylinder and up into the cwt in the loft.
The tap installed was not fit to go on your system, the 2 'plumbers' should have known that, guessing it's a monobloc with one handle that controls temp and flow.
A non return valve on the hot feed to the new tap will probably sort it although that is a mechanical device that may fail in the future, also, you may not have enough hot water pressure to operate the tap properly afterwards.
Best bet is to get the right tap - the type you would ideally want is called a dual flow.
Who chose the tap?

Perfect answer JC, especially at that time in the morning. :santa5:

I would re-enforce your assumption that the two who attended were not plumbers despite what they may claim, so topazstar please don't pay them to come back.

Last edited:
I am still stuck with this - purchased new dual flow taps but the new plumber said they are not needed and best to fit a non-return valve - these are the taps currently on the sink - I am now totally confused as they have two handles, not one:

71XxOv04hOL._SL1000_.jpg

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
What type of cylinder do you have?
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I think 2.7LPM is the minimum requireed so...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you Shaun. Where would we have a gate...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
Back