Collecting payment for boiler installs. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Collecting payment for boiler installs. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LPC

Just wondering what everyones rules/expectations on payment for boiler installs is. I ask because I installed a boiler for a landlord last Thursday, told him I need payment at completion of job. I've had to ring him every single day since, badgering him to pay me and him giving lots of excuses. Today I finally got him to pay.

I also finished another install yesterday with big material outlay on my part (~£1500) for a private customer. Job all went well, they're happy. Said I need payment immediately (as stated on quote) they said they'd do a bank transfer today. As of now (17.30pm today), nothing.

I know it's Christmas but am I being unreasonable to expect people to pay at the completion of works? Is it right for me to ring people every single day until they give me my bloody money?!

I hate slow paying customers... I'm tempted not to leave without a cheque, cash or online Bac's already lol!

If its in your terms & conditions when you quote the job then you should expect instant payment...?

on jobs with say £400 + materials i ask for material cost in advance and labour within 7 days of receipt of invoice.
get home, write out invoice, send next day recorded and hey presto you have proof they received it :)
if they have issues with that then what issues will you have after !

Yeah, I need to start getting them to buy the boilers themselves at the start of the job.

On the one I finished yesterday, I gave them the invoice in-hand at the completion of the job.

I'll give them till tomorrow, then start ringing :)

50 % deposit for all new customers , signed terms and coniditons and i make a point of showing them the penalites if they dont pay on completion

I hate slow payers. I was never blunt enough with people. It was always on my quotes payment on day of completion. My mate doesn't go without payment when he finishes jobs!

A few days isn't that bad?
7 day turn around to a landlord is fair, if you chase too hard straight after the job is completed you won't get used again.

A few days isn't that bad?
7 day turn around to a landlord is fair, if you chase too hard straight after the job is completed you won't get used again.

I think you end up with better customers , job is done and completed there's no reason not to pay

I work in a rural Area so get work mostly through recommendation. Have walked away from a few jobs because the customer looks dodgy. Since 1995 have only had one non payer! £2500, but got the job by knowing the father so went to see him and got the money.
I dare say in a city, you are working for new customers all the time so could easily get done over.

ive personally never asked for money upfront. But then again you can't leave the supermarket saying I will pay later.

50 % deposit for all new customers , signed terms and coniditons and i make a point of showing them the penalites if they dont pay on completion

could i have a copy to look at bod? cheeky i know !

I don't do that much installation these days. However on repairs, if the custard is someone I haven't experienced and the initial outlay on parts is going to be a couple of hundred quid I ask for it up front! It depends on the person if I'm honest! If I consider them 'dodgy' I'll ask up front. If I consider them trustworthy I'll give them the credit! Its a fine line sometimes!

Sorry Killy there bespoke to us and cost me a fair few quid. Google it and knock your self some up send me them and I'll look over for you. We have a barrister on our books with 30 properties and we made him sign hem 4 year ago.

his words were if the queen owed you a pound you'd win it..

The only people who won't sign are this who never intend on paying anyway

I've had a few slow payers lately. It's the one thing which boils my ****. Especially when they say they will drop pay,ENT around tonight and don't.

good advice sir :) i thought that would be the answer :p
over xmas i'm sorting everything out business wise ready for the new year, tired of jumping through hoops of my own making.

It really does drive me nuts. Just sent them a text asking if they're going to do a transfer tonight. Took them over a week to pay me after I did their bathroom in the summer. But I didn't hassle them because I wanted to the boiler job (which they should have done then like I told them). But now i've done the boiler I have no qualms in hassling the **** out of them for my cash!

Work to love or live to work that is the question .

in the words of dr kiaskai (spell check) Always pay yourself first

Yeah I am, I'm buying a 'weekend' car at the weekend and I need the cash to pay for it!! haha.

Get a card machine. Before you commission boiler tell them that they need to pay you now so that you can commission and register the appliance... It's an online thing you have with mfr. if you don't register you have to remove boiler. That's the rules! Some jobs ok but use this on rseholes

Simple: Get organised. Terms and conditions paperwork. Deposit and signed contract before start of work. interim payment on start of job. Full payment on commissioning.

I Never take money upfront ! Then invoice ones job is done and customer are paying within 5 working days ! Never had customer not willing to pay , just had few jobs postpone for spring .....

I have started doing
10% deposit a week before install and I will order Boiler and materials
50% when boiler and materials are on site (the day I start)
40% on completion

Not sure how its going to work yet but worth a try

I have started doing
10% deposit a week before install and I will order Boiler and materials
50% when boiler and materials are on site (the day I start)
40% on completion

Not sure how its going to work yet but worth a try
I am surely are speaking if full house refurbishment jobs not the usual boiler change or system upgrades !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
L
Reading between the lines, are the RGIs on...
Replies
Views
Sounds like he was in too deep. At least he...
Replies
Views
Thanks Enthalpy, Your conclusion is exactly...
Replies
Views
Back