Combi boiler activated when cold tap turned off??!! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi boiler activated when cold tap turned off??!! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys

Went to a job late last night. HW working fine. CH working fine.

Strange thing is when a cold tap is turned on or the toilet is flushed, a couple of seconds later the boiler starts up the HW light flicks on for a split second and then it goes off again. It doesn't actually fire up but something is making it think it should.

Boiler is a Potterton Combi Heatmax type.

Just out of interest I Isolated the cold inlet and cracked the nut and the water was coming out warm (after the isolation valve).

The cold and hot pipes from the boiler are touching where they run towards the kitchen sink. (don't think that is an issue other than looking rubbish).

Another thing, the customer is having a new shower room installed upstairs, the pipework has been run for first fix and the shower guts are all connected up. Could this be causing the issue?

Any questions ask away, i'm stumped. Was thinking perhaps there's a some sort of faulty flow switch or something is piped up wrong but really I have no clue and hoping someone here has come across something similar.

Thanks

Air trapped in the pipe or a shock arrest needed

Could it be air trapped from where recent plumbing has been done?

I don't know what a shock arrest is so will have to look that up. Customer was 70 years old and said she can't pin point when the fault started but said it became increasingly more noticeable since the plumbing work started.

Last edited:
Are there NRVs on the shower?

Not that I could see unless they are built inside but no seperate nrv's on the pipework.

That was my initial thought as soon as she said a new shower was being fitted.

As said already possible air in a dead leg somewhere where the waters been drained to work on pipework

is there ant old hot water pipe work that has just been capped when changed to a combi?
vent pipe in loft?
this will alow the pressure in the hot side to drop when cold is used, then when the tap is shut there is a slight flow back down the hot side.

is there ant old hot water pipe work that has just been capped when changed to a combi?
vent pipe in loft?
this will alow the pressure in the hot side to drop when cold is used, then when the tap is shut there is a slight flow back down the hot side.

It was converted to a combi 2 years ago. I think it's all becoming clearer.

I haven't checked the loft yet.

If I have to go back I'll know what to look for.

I wasn't aware of this fault before so it's good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yes you should be able to cut them off in...
Replies
Views
With CH selected on, if you open a hot tap...
Replies
Views
If the pressure is going that high with the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
Back