Combi Boiler help needed | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi Boiler help needed in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi guys
Im afraid i need your help and advice again.Alpha 28cd combi boiler 12 years old.
No go this morning,flashing lights indicate problem with fan,new fan assembly £185 plus fitting.Question:is it worth repairing or would a new boiler be a better option given its age.
Also we would like the new boiler,if we have one,situated in the garage.There is pipework to a radiator in there already,so we would be able to take that out and replace with whatever pipework is needed.Gas meter is outside and about 4 metres from site of proposed boiler.
Would this be a costly and logistical nightmare?.Old boiler is in a cupboard in bathroom.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I would replace as 12 years old is throwing good money at an ageing boiler

1. You will be looking at:
1a. Running cold and hot water pipework.
1b. Replacing probable 15 mm radiator pipework with 22 mm.
1c. Running a condensate pipe to drain.
1d. Possibly running gas from the garage to any other gas appliance (hob?) if appropriate.
1e. Having a new flue installed - presumably there is a suitable spot?
2. You will need a frost thermostat and pipe thermostat to guard against freezing in a garage. The boiler may have internal frost protection, but that is limited to the boiler.
3. You will need to retain a source of heat to prevent freezing.
4. I would think it is your best long term solution, but:
4a. It isn't going to be cheap.
4b. It is likely to be disruptive both in the garage and the house.

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
A
I looked up the faults out of curiosity as I...
Replies
Views
Back