Combi boiler in cupboard | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi boiler in cupboard in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kane

I have a ground floor flat with a combi boiler in a cupboard in a rear bedroom ventilated to an outside wall. The boiler is currently in a cupboard with slatted louvre doors. My intention is to build a cupboard with solid sliding doors which will also enclose the boiller.

My question is will this cause any ventilation problems, I have had no issues to date and there does not appear to be any air inlets or outlets within the cupboard other than the flue to the outside wall.

I am well aware that nowadays the boiler would never be placed in a bedroom but the boiler was there when I bought the house and there is no alternative site so I am stuck with the current arrangement.

Any advice gratefully received.

cheers

Gary

You need to check the manufacturers instructions for any ventilation and clearance requirements. Boilers are still fitted in bedrooms, not the first choice but sometimes the only option.

Hello Gary.
the amount of ventilation required to prevent heat build up will be covered in the manufacturers installation instructions,
do you have these?
if not most are available on the internet

[DLMURL]http://www.gotogasdocs.co.uk/boiler-manuals[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the swift reply gents.

Chris the boiler is an Alpha CB24X

I have managed to find the Installation instructions, which states the following;

Air Supply

The boiler does not require any air vents for cooling in the room in which it is installed or when installed in a cupboard or a compartment. The minimum clearance for maintenance must always be maintained.

Note: A cupboard or compartment used to enclose the boiler must be designed and constructed specifically for the purpose i.e. comply with the Building Regulations.

The first section would suggest I am OK but any elobaration on the "Note" would be appreciated.

cheers

Gary

it is probably refering to the construction methods used in the cupboard. should be fine aslong as its not mounted on a combustable surface and clearances are ok.

glad you found the answer kane i am intrigued where did you hear room sealed boilers cant go in bedrooms? theres no such reg,but i would consider noise issues when siteing one

maybe he/she read you should not take one to bed with you? :)........ plenty of people have woken up next to a boiler the morning after. LOL

maybe he/she read you should not take one to bed with you? :)........ plenty of people have woken up next to a boiler the morning after. LOL
:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:class AW

Thanks for all the replies guys, great forum with obviously knowledgable members.

Gas man, it was a British Gas engineer who was servicing the boiler who told me that this was no longer done.

AWheating, if only every boiler problem was as easy as "phoning her a taxi", life would be a lot simpler.

Thanks again

Gary

Thanks for all the replies guys, great forum with obviously knowledgable members.

Gas man, it was a British Gas engineer who was servicing the boiler who told me that this was no longer done.

AWheating, if only every boiler problem was as easy as "phoning her a taxi", life would be a lot simpler.

Thanks again

Gary
ignore the response from the bg guy its inaccurate,but it might be there policy through noise issues,one point though even though RS boilers by there design are stringently safe if someone's sleeping in there,for piece of mind fit a co alarm,does not hurt to have one

Thanks again

Gary
Just watch if there is something to close on the boiler (mostly happens on the front) that it is constructed removable. Once had a joiner who screwed and glued everything shut. On request to redo it removable he answered that it is perfectly removable. I asked him if I can have that in writing so I can start using my special "glued together panels removal tool" which as well is very handy for driving nails into wood.
:hammer:

Instead I got send a colleague who was sweating for a good wee while.
Anything on hinges usually is acceptable or if there is a couple of screws only and it can get removed without damaging anything normally nobody will say something.

But I have seen engineers send for repairs within the guarantee turning round as soon as they seen it is screwed and told the customer to phone back in for a new appointment once the obstruction is removed by someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Fair point. There is a dearth of heating...
Replies
Views
Not always smaller no, but they’re not beasts...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
If you are thinking about installing pv panels...
Replies
Views
Back