Combi boiler installation | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi boiler installation in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've just had a new combi boiler installed by a corgi registered engineer and there's a join with 2 different size pipes as picture. We were told by other engineered when getting quotes that the smaller pipe needed to be replaced. Can someone please clarify if this difference in pipes size is correct and we are safe?
And also, 2nd picture, is it safe to have this pipe separated from the wall dip much? It will be enclosed in a cabinet, but even so, I was planning on storing something there.
Many thanks
Sonia

1508246209783831413121.jpg

15082463059251555687937.jpg

Your other engineer is correct to a certain extent, and I would never done it like in the pics never like it

But if it's got enough pressure and it's using enough gas it's fine

Any chance you could take a pic of the benchmark (in the back of the installer instructions)

What type of boiler make is it? I know the logics only need a 15mm gas run. I'm assuming it was gas rated and had all the pressures taken when it was commissioned.

Pipework isn't great but depends what was on the quote to start with, sometimes I would like to repipe everything in properties but you can only do so much.

How far is the gas meter from the location pictured. What kilowattage is the combi. Do you have any other gas appliances? Gas Safe Register give free second opinions......

We've just had a new combi boiler installed by a corgi registered engineer and there's a join with 2 different size pipes as picture. We were told by other engineered when getting quotes that the smaller pipe needed to be replaced. Can someone please clarify if this difference in pipes size is correct and we are safe?
And also, 2nd picture, is it safe to have this pipe separated from the wall dip much? It will be enclosed in a cabinet, but even so, I was planning on storing something there.
Many thanks
Sonia

View attachment 31411

View attachment 31412
Can I please ask why you are questioning this now and not before the work had been completed?

My bet is on the cheapest quote.

Take it the copper pipe is gas ?? looking at the photo showing the copper pipe the fitting looks like its not been soldered , when was this done ? as the copper pipe looks older than the condense pipe, was this existing pipe work ?

All looks soldered to me, but isn’t that a condense pipe going into a copper pipe? If so I didn’t think you were allowed to do that.

That's a condensate, going into a copper waste!! It will be rotten in weeks. That need sorting immediately.
As for the gas it depends how far away your gas meter is and the size ( kw) of your boiler. 15mm copper will only work correctly, if the meter is no more the a couple of metres away.

What type of boiler make is it? I know the logics only need a 15mm gas run. I'm assuming it was gas rated and had all the pressures taken when it was commissioned.

Pipework isn't great but depends what was on the quote to start with, sometimes I would like to repipe everything in properties but you can only do so much.
Hi how do you work out that a logic can work off 15mm??
It depends on meter position.

Condensate looks incorrect if connected to copper but looks a bit like old discoloured 1 1/ 4 pipe .. gas pipe fine providing working pressure holds up on max with other appliances running at time of testing .. there can be 2 issues here .. 1) scruffy looking connections making you think it's wrong 2) scruffy looking connections making you think it's wrong but it's safe and will hold up under testing.

Hi guys,
the boiler is a Worcester Bosch 30i.
The boiler is at least 5 or 6m from the gas meter.
Here are more pictures.
I am along the question now because I didn't know what he was going to do and assume he would change the small pipe just as everyone one else had said. He is a corgi registered engineer Sonia I thought he would do the same as every one else. I gutted after so many quotes I didn't go into detail of work and wad thrilled when he said he could do it at the end of the week.
Thanks for all your replies. I hope these pictures make it clearer and you can all come to a deviation of whether it is safe and it will work correctly.
Kind regards
Sonia

15083169794451601081375.jpg

15083170569351118165743.jpg

1508317135381637365565.jpg

15083172400441818918344.jpg

Hi guys, forgot to say that the narrow pipe was the pipe connected to the old boiler which was on the floor and don't remember the make because the engineer took it but sounded like Thompson or something with o's in the name.
Thanks again

I would say at an estimate it's not right and needs upping (gas pipe)

In an ideal world there'd be 22mm all the way. You can get away with 15mm for about 7-8m for that boiler size. I assume the installer did a pressure drop test and any drop was within acceptable limits.
All those burn marks on the wall tho', didn't he hear of solder mats?

In an ideal world there'd be 22mm all the way. You can get away with 15mm for about 7-8m for that boiler size. I assume the installer did a pressure drop test and any drop was within acceptable limits.
All those burn marks on the wall tho', didn't he hear of solder mats?
The boiler is made to connect a 22mm gas pipe. Which means in my eyes it should all be 22mm otherwise it is undersized. Your comments may stand on an old install but not a brand new one. It should have been upgraded.

That waste pipe could be an old terrain pipe with crap on it. Just the photo making the colour look off so it gives the impression it's copper. But if it IS copper then WTF?!
Looks like he's just stuck 22mm on the old existing 15mm for the last stretch. I'd have been inclined to replace whole gas pipe with 22mm if at all practical.
Whilst no one is perfect it's not best pipework with burn marks on walls which is sloppy. I've taken to polishing up my pipework afterwards with Brasso. Only takes a minute and leaves a good impression if pipes are gleaming when jobs finished.
If this was a cheap quote then I'm afraid you get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Is it bottles or bulk tank? They go over pipe...
Replies
Views
Back