Combi boiler issue or Shower? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi boiler issue or Shower? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi
Yesterday my shower in the bathroom started to run cold. It started fine but then ran cold...then got warm again before running cold again. This continued and then just ran cold. Other taps ran hot as usual so thought it could be the shower/cartridge. Instead of fiddling with manufacturers etc I went and bought a middle of the road new shower (thermostatic bar) and fitted. Then tested and seemed okay. Showered this morning and similar problem...though not as frequently. Whilst the wife showered I watched the combi boiler. It fired up when hot water was called, it ran for about a minute and then stopped. About a minute later it fired up again for hot water again. This then continued. As said, all the other hot taps call for demand and the boiler fires up and stays fired up until I turn the tap off. Boiler is a Baxi Platinum 28HE. Pressure is good (between 1 and 1.5 bar cold)
Any ideas??

Thanks for your advice KOP, would this only affect the shower
Partially blocked plate heat exchanger is the most likely culprit you will need a GSI to sort it out its a easy fix . Kop

Thanks for the advice KOP, would this only affect the shower? Not doubting your vast knowledge but why only the shower? As mentioned, the other hot taps work fine with the boiler?? Anyway, will try and get an engineer out. Thanks again, Pete.

It's quite possible as you are restricting the amount of hotwater being used when mixing the shower supplies, if the plate heat can't absorb and exchange the heat being produced by the boiler then it will reach its highest temperature and shut down , you can simulate the fault at a hotwater tap by partially closing it, my advice is get the boiler drained the plate heat exchanger removed and throughly cleaned it can then replaced, I power flush them through with a pressure washer it's amazing how much debris can accumulate in there . Regards kop

I think on this model that once the flow switch sees a flow > 2 LPM that you will get hot water, as suggested above maybe worth throttling in a hot tap until heating stops and then measure it to get the actual minimum flow rate.

Similar plumbing topics

L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
If the pressure is going that high with the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I...
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
  • Boilers
  • Latest:
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
Back