combi boiler only running hot water to taps. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss combi boiler only running hot water to taps. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

that bloke.

i need hot water in my house restoration but wont be able to put in the heating system fully for a while.
is it possible to have the combi boiler (probably a new lpg potterton) just run the dhw for baths etc and then hook up the heating system at a later date?

No because you will damage the heat exchanger and the boiler will overheat. You will need to connect the primaries to at least one radiator,possibly two so that on hot water mode the excess heat can safely be removed as the boiler will have apump overrun feature that allows this .

i need hot water in my house restoration but wont be able to put in the heating system fully for a while.
is it possible to have the combi boiler (probably a new lpg potterton) just run the dhw for baths etc and then hook up the heating system at a later date?
it depends on the make and model of the boiler is it existing or is it a new one your fitting?
i know the rehema advanta can be used as a water heater and there possibly are others but as said most will need a rad fitted so you can fill the system with water to disipate heat

No because you will damage the heat exchanger and the boiler will overheat. You will need to connect the primaries to at least one radiator,possibly two so that on hot water mode the excess heat can safely be removed as the boiler will have apump overrun feature that allows this .
this is true with pottertons and baxis you need one rad connected

lovely fellas , thankyou. its a new potterton boiler i am having installed but i cant fit the whole heating system in just yet and it would be nice to be able to take a bath while i am working on the house.

if i were to fit , say 3 medium sized cast iron rads would i need the thermostat turned down to zero all the time or would i run it like a normal heating system? obviously this will be a lot less rads than the boiler is designed to run and i dont want to break it by doing so.

lovely fellas , thankyou. its a new potterton boiler i am having installed but i cant fit the whole heating system in just yet and it would be nice to be able to take a bath while i am working on the house.

if i were to fit , say 3 medium sized cast iron rads would i need the thermostat turned down to zero all the time or would i run it like a normal heating system? obviously this will be a lot less rads than the boiler is designed to run and i dont want to break it by doing so.
It will run absolutely fine on 3 rads.:)

its true what blackcatgas says the boiler will be fine it will modulate down [run the burner table lower] to accommodate the small load

lovely , thank you fellas , now i can get my bathroom up and running. been spending long weeks up working at the cottage with no hot water but now there is hope. :) a shower at the end of the day in a warm bathroom will be a much needed luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
Thanks CJG, I understand what you're saying. I...
Replies
Views
Probably temperature sensor or thermistor that...
Replies
Views
Hi we’re the boiler sited
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back