combi boiler pipe size calculations | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss combi boiler pipe size calculations in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

krav965

Hi, just down the gas pipe calculations on a worcester bosch 28i junior combi a work buddy is fitting and it has posed a question...the boiler requires a rate of 3.02m cubed /hr.the existing gas supply pipework is made up of 3mtrs 15mm and 1.5 mtrs 22 mm copper...taking into account all bends etc the calculation on the existing pipework exceeds the requirement of the new boiler....yet the regulations require 22mm pipework be used on condensing combi boilers...???

Should we no longer pay any attention to pipe size calculations or do pipe size calcs still hold good and a combination of pipe sizes can be used providing the calcs hold good????????

there is only a regulation that the pipe has to be the correct size to feed the appliance with the required volume of gas at maximum rate with the correct pressure loss
Not just 22mm pipe

its against the regs to fit to n.c.s,
so if the regs require it, you fit it.
if the m.i. state 22mm then its 22mm.

theres no get out clause if the calcs are wrong because it adds up right but not to m.i's.
and thats min for future expnsion

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys....the mi's state 22mm but then go on to give you a table of calcs from 15mm up to 28mm...also giving you the rate of 3.02m cubed/hr with the statement. I can understand the need for installing to mi's but in this case it makes a mockery of doing calcs in fact if it were to be done in 22mm as stated you would have a discharge of almost 6m cubed/h nearly twice the required volume....

22mm at the appliance you will find the rest of its 28mm from the meter

Hi Gas man...no it seems that its 22 at the meter ,dropping to 15mm..i knew i would create a little controversy sorry folks I thought I would throw the question out there

Worcester-Bosch states at least 22mm for all its boilers (except some of the smallest regular boilers). Jonathan,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gas man...no it seems that its 22 at the meter ,dropping to 15mm..i knew i would create a little controversy sorry folks I thought I would throw the question out there
is the existing appliance still in and working? if not you need to record the pressure at the inlet in dhw mode on the new boiler with all appliances working,if its a combi you are going wrong somewhere in your calcs if its a heat only different matter but mi,s overrule gas regs if its a combi 15mm will not be adequate

If the boiler has a 22mm connection you use 22mm. It still has to be worked out even if it has a 15mm inlet.
If you have 3m of 15mm and more than 1 elbow you are under with your sizing.

Hi Gas man...no new boiler not in yet...just checked my calcs and they seem ok...the boiler isnt far from the gas meter, I was being generous in my distance at 4.5 mtrs, , I only have 3 bends in the run ( allowed 0.5 each for those ) then 3 mtrs 15mm and 1.5 mtrs of 22 mm....still comes up to more than the required 3.02m cubed /hr that is required....but I am a bit knackered so i agree my calcs could be a bit wonky......fanx guys

Does anyone ever do the calcs on domestic,except in unusual circumstances?

A boiler on its own is easy to know at a glance but when there are other appliances i work it out. Only takes 2 or 3 minutes.

Agreed Tamz...undersized as regards Mi but not in the calcs.....

If you look inside many combis they dont have 22mm pipework after the gas cock, many manufactures have a 22mm gas cock and state a min size of 22mm supply pipework because thats whats required normally. Also when they used to have 15mm gas cocks to many cowboys assumed that 15mm to the boiler was fine because thats what size the nut is at the boiler and this lead to many installs being undergased. If your calulations work out and 15mm is ok then i would phone the manufacture up to clarify what they will except, if they still state min of 22mm then do so to avoid call backs and warranty issues.

the MI is what you go by they over rule the regs if stats 22mm then you have to use 22

Some combi's only need 15mm for the gas supply. Vaillant Ecotec 824 combi states 15mm with the proviso of correct working pressure at the appliance inlet, which means if you do your sums 15mm can be ok....

Edited to add: that MI's obviously rule with minimum pipe size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Well the first thing i would be doing is...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately just because it works now...
Replies
Views
A bit late but what were the test results, did...
Replies
Views
Again, without an idea of system volume we're...
Replies
Views
Back